Update III - Old college roommate

RCCola

Here is an update from my old college roommate who has cancer. Please keep Dave and his family in your prayers.

Robert

The Official News Update

Volume III

November 3, 2004

Hello everyone from Houston. Karen and I have been here for 7 days and looks like we have 4 more to go. MD Anderson is an amazing place, but it is a sad experience as well. We have seen about every form of cancer and it doesn’t care if you are young, old or somewhere in between. One thing about this place is that you can’t be in a hurry. Time frames and schedules really don’t mean much. When you have just about given up and decide you have been forgotten they call your name.

I know a lot of you have been wondering if we are making any progress, well kind of. Apparently I am a stage 4 out of 4 which means cure really isn’t a point of conversation. Under control is what the conversation is about. I entered a clinical study today which will require me to come back to Houston once a month. On Thursday I start chemotherapy and will also be taking an experimental drug from Japan. Thursday will be 8 hours of hydration treatment and 2 hours of chemotherapy and then on Friday I get another 6 hours of hydration. Apparently they don’t want me to dry out. If I have no reactions to the drugs, we come home on Sunday. This is a 28 day cycle and if it continues to show benefit, I can continue this for 12 months.

Karen and I really appreciate your thoughts and prayers and all the help that we have been given with Mitch. Please continue to pray for our faith and trust in God’s plan.

David Owens