Upper Etowah

jocko755

I never hear about anyone fishing the upper Etowah.

So I am curious about fishing the Kelly's bridge area in Dawson County. What kind of fish could you expect? Spots? Bream? Looks like a decent river to float.

Also Canton down to the lake. Seems like good summer water. Anyone fished it lately?

Jonboater

I just wondering myself about the river at Knox bridge and how the water color was with all this rain. Anyone been over it this week?

hopper

I feel like this has been asked a few times with not alot of feedback. Been wanting to check that out myself. If you beet me to the punch give us a report.

bird35

If one were to put a boat in at Knox Bridge how far up river can they go before it gets dangerous for a prop boat with 3 feet of draft.

jocko755

So I went to Kelly's bridge yesterday but storms kept me off the river. I was wanting to float to Eagles Beak park. The concern I have is the river is not very wide and I wonder if it is open and not blocked by lay downs? I'd hate to encounter a lay down blocking the whole river and high banks preventing portage.

I made a few casts with a grub at the ramp and got a bite and set the hook. Felt like something huge, (Maybe a catfish or striper). Fought it all the way to my feet, turned out to be a big old turtle..... sheesh. Got him loose.

EllijayFalconsFan

The info about this stretch of water is very hard to come by. I've heard its really hard to fish without a jet-boat but that might just be to keep most people from checking it out. I know the white bass run in the early spring is really good up through there.

hopper

Dropped my square back and trolling motor in at the kayak launch off hwy 9 today. Curiacity was killing me. Could not go to far up stream before it was to swallow (just under the bridge) fished a little caught squat. Definatley thinking below Dawson Forest would be better for any motoring.
I did talk to an old timer today who told me he caught catfish from the bank were it runs under old federal.
Anyone interested keep picking and let us know what you find.

jocko755

Rt 9 Bridge (River Park) down to kelly bridge would be a nice float. Appalachian Outfitters has a canoe/kayak livery location at Kelly's bridge and offer that trip.

Below Kelly bridge there are take outs at Eagles Beak and further down from Eagles Beak, there's Conns Creek access. From Conn's creek - looks like a long paddle to Etowah River Park in Canton, all seem like a nice float for fishing. Looks like you can now take out at Ball Ground Road bridge too, just below Conns Creek.

Wish I had more free time to hit the river!

ShoalBandit

I never hear about anyone fishing the upper Etowah.

So I am curious about fishing the Kelly's bridge area in Dawson County. What kind of fish could you expect? Spots? Bream? Looks like a decent river to float.

Also Canton down to the lake. Seems like good summer water. Anyone fished it lately?

Native Alabama Bass (which most people still call 'spotted bass'), Redeye Bass, the occasional Largemouth, Shadow Bass, Striped Bass, Redbreast Sunfish, Bluegill, Green Sunfish, Channel Catfish, Bullheads, Carp, Smallmouth Buffalo, Longnose Gar, etc...

A few jet boats launch at Kelly Bridge and go upriver but it's really kayak/canoe water.

Mokai Man

Native Alabama Bass (which most people still call 'spotted bass'), Redeye Bass, the occasional Largemouth, Shadow Bass, Striped Bass, Redbreast Sunfish, Bluegill, Green Sunfish, Channel Catfish, Bullheads, Carp, Smallmouth Buffalo, Longnose Gar, etc...

A few jet boats launch at Kelly Bridge and go upriver but it's really kayak/canoe water.

I've put in at Kelly bridge and made it up to River Park Canoe Launch at Hwy 9.

TripleXBullies

I've been on a normal bass boat up past Bowling park. That guy knew the river like the back of his hand. I've seen jet boats going much further. I've floated in a kayak may times just north of that. Lots of fish up that way. It's a fun float.