Vanilla and Water??????

Thread starter #1
I have seen some people mention mixing 3oz vanilla extract and 8oz water in a spray bottle. Does this work? How do you apply it? Do you spray it all over you like scent killer or just your boots and a drag? And last but not least, is it legal to use this?
I would like to try new things but this seems a little odd.
Thanks!

cathooker

Spray it on your boots, make a drag rag scent trail with it and yes it is just as legal as the various "deer attractants" you buy. It does work!

Killdee

I had a bottle in my pack, not diluted, that I poured a cap full on a trail I wanted a deer to stop on in bow range last weekend. A big doe did stop and licked the ground where I poured it.

cathooker

I use the pure. I've never tried the imitation. One morning early in the rifle season I sprayed my boots with a special vanilla mix I came up with and had a really nice 2.5 year old seven point trail me right to my stand.

Sargent

I use a medium sized spray bottle from the travel section in Walmart. I covered it with camo duct tape to make it seem more manly.

I use pure vanilla extract (just because- imitation should work, too). I use one small bottle and fill the spray bottle up 50-75% full with water.

I use it to cover my trail. I also spray it on tree limbs around where I am hunting.

Some variants:
Add apple juice- Never tried it, but it makes sense.
Disolve peanut butter in the solution- tried it and I saw a few. Not sure it was because of the concoction, though.

Mostly, I have just used the vanilla/water solution. It is certainly not a magic wand, but if deer are around, they will probably come check it out.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
They will check out just about anything sweet

kedo

it works

I use it all the time. Spray it lightly all over as a cover and on bottom of boots. the doe, i shot 10 yards from my stand, followed my trail I took to my stand that morning. Never spooked her at all. :cheers:

Sprayed on my boots during bow season one evening years ago, looked down and boots were covered with yellow jackets didn't do that again.

cathooker

Take several fresh doe tarsals and put them in a clean quart jart. Put in just enough pure vanilla extract to completely cover all the tarsals. Let sit for a week or so. Remove the tarsals and put them in zip loc bags. One tarsal per bag. Strain and put the vanilla that is left over in a spray bottle. Add an equal amount of water in the spray bottle. Freeze the tarsals. I use the spray on my boots and to freshen the tarsal. I make a drag out of the vanilla soaked tarsal. I shot this buck at 20 yards using it. Does the tarsals make the vanilla any more attractive to the deer? I don't know, but I like to experiment and when something works I'll use it until it quits working. We have killed a lot of deer with this concotion and a few others I have played around with. It does not work every time you go in the woods....nothing does....

Attachments

Last edited:

farm7729

Just curious... How is this legal and not considered baiting? Try not to jump all over me here ive just never heard of it, not trying to start a baiting debate here.

Hunley

Just curious... How is this legal and not considered baiting? Try not to jump all over me here ive just never heard of it, not trying to start a baiting debate here.
It isn't food placed there by man (i.e., ot something growing naturally). It's just like using doe pee or something in that it is a scent attractant. They can't eat it.