Venice Update

Stock

Friend sent me this today so I thought I would share for those planning trips.

NEWS RELEASE
Plaquemines Parish Update

Tuesday September 16, 2008
2:00pm
Highway 23 is still under water from south of the Alliance Refinery to West Pointe a la Hache. However large trucks are being allowed through to service the oil industry and supply other businesses in the south end.
Water continues to recede and pumps are operating to clear Highway 23 as quickly as possible. The water is receding into the marshes through various cuts in the levee made to expedite the flow and through two new breeches discovered after the water began receding. Highway 23 could be opened to traffic tonight or sometime tomorrow. It depends upon how quickly the water flows out. Meantime, the convoys on the Mississippi River Levee around the flooded Highway are continuing. Crews are working to fill the breeches at this time. One is nearly 200 feet long and 40 feet deep and is located near West Pointe a la Hache. The other smaller breech is about 40 feet in width and is located just south of the original breech in Pointe Celeste. Parish President Billy Nungesser has authorized the use of slabs broken up and discarded from Hurricane Katrina to be used to fill the levee breeches.
According to President Billy Nungesser-top priority is getting that Highway open. “Every day our residents don’t have access to their homes and their livelihoods…we lose. Because many are just leaving the parish and not coming back.”

pottydoc

I talked to Mike yesterday, he told me basicly the same thing. The fish were crazy before the storm, hopefully they'll still be chewing when folks can get back down 23 again.

The water is almost passable at this time. The best time of the year is coming up. I will pull up some pictures from this time of the year and put them up. If anyone is thinking of making a trip the time is now for one of the better times of the year for your larger fish. I can get your lodging set up at one of the nicest lodges in Venice. Come on you can't let theses tuna die of old age. Plus the duck hunting can't be beat.
Capt. Mike Ellis
Relentless Sportfishing
504 715 6597

CaptEddie

Cypress cove and venice marina came through virtually unscathed. At least compared to Katrina they did. from what I understand both are cleaned up and ready for action.