Vintage roadside BBQ joints,,

GA1dad

So while in Georgia this weekend I showed the family around some of my old stomping grounds. Back in the 90's I drove by this old BBQ joint on Ga. 22 between Haddock and Milledgeville a thousand times I reckon,,, but my mind was on girls, not old closed down BBQ joints. Now that I've calmed down a bit, I've really come to appreciate these old roadside jewels of history. This one looked like it had been closed for a good while, even way back then, and the building has more recently housed a tire shop. I am unable to find anything on Google on the old place,, do any of you know the history of "Good Ole Boys BBQ"?

Got any old BBQ joints of days past near you?? Take some pics and post them up for us to see.

20180819_080954.jpg

20180819_081012.jpg

20180819_080527.jpg

Reactions: Dub

Dub

My favorite BBQ to date.....spot near my college town.

I get by there about once a year or so.

Simple menu and completely delicious.

Ayden, NC.

The deep resonance of them chopping up the pork on that glorious block were the only music played there....all you needed to hear, too.

A tray of slaw, some cornbread to sop in the slaw and a tray of chopped pork BBQ.....and a bottled soft drink and all was well in the world for the afternoon. Those Jones boys got it going on.

August, 1995 found me working with my current employer....in their Wilson, NC location.

Parker's BBQ has it going on there. They do a family style meal that most folks simply hurt themselves at. Been to many a work function there in a private room where they'll lay out a whole hog and all the fixings. They are a large scale operation there, yet they nail down the flavors and nothing is lost in their huge scale of bidness.

The BBQ joint I've probably been too most often....was a weekly trip to this spot when growing up....with parents and/or grandparents. Kinston, NC.

They also do a family style where you'd hurt yourself.

Best thing on the menu, though....besides their pork skins....was something called Pig'in'a'Puppy. It was a cornbread/hushpuppy bun with pulled pork & slaw inside. It was a "One & Done" sammich that would have you stuffed until sometime the next day. :rofl:

ENC BBQ.....it's what I cut my teefs on....litterly. Vinegar sauce is in my blood and has been since before I could walk. Moved well away from there now.....and glad I finally figured out how to cook it myself thanks to some welcome help from the fine folks here. (y)

HermanMerman

Always enjoyed stopping at Hot Thomas outside of Watkinsville on the way to hunting camp when I was young. A vinegar sauced sandwich or three was the way to go.

Cmp1

BANNED
My favorite BBQ to date.....spot near my college town.

I get by there about once a year or so.

Simple menu and completely delicious.

Ayden, NC.

The deep resonance of them chopping up the pork on that glorious block were the only music played there....all you needed to hear, too.

A tray of slaw, some cornbread to sop in the slaw and a tray of chopped pork BBQ.....and a bottled soft drink and all was well in the world for the afternoon. Those Jones boys got it going on.

August, 1995 found me working with my current employer....in their Wilson, NC location.

Parker's BBQ has it going on there. They do a family style meal that most folks simply hurt themselves at. Been to many a work function there in a private room where they'll lay out a whole hog and all the fixings. They are a large scale operation there, yet they nail down the flavors and nothing is lost in their huge scale of bidness.

The BBQ joint I've probably been too most often....was a weekly trip to this spot when growing up....with parents and/or grandparents. Kinston, NC.

They also do a family style where you'd hurt yourself.

Best thing on the menu, though....besides their pork skins....was something called Pig'in'a'Puppy. It was a cornbread/hushpuppy bun with pulled pork & slaw inside. It was a "One & Done" sammich that would have you stuffed until sometime the next day. :rofl:

ENC BBQ.....it's what I cut my teefs on....litterly. Vinegar sauce is in my blood and has been since before I could walk. Moved well away from there now.....and glad I finally figured out how to cook it myself thanks to some welcome help from the fine folks here. (y)

My daughter lives in Wilson,I was stationed in Goldsboro,Eastern NC bbq is the best,,,,

Dub

My daughter lives in Wilson,I was stationed in Goldsboro,Eastern NC bbq is the best,,,,

Small world !!!!

Thank you for your service !!!!!!!!

The types of BBQ of the region aren't highly varied......essentially pork and chicken.....with breakfast sausage being the mainstays. They do it well, though.

Glad I spent time in other parts of the country and added bbq beef and other cuts to menu.

I'm hoping to go catch an ECU home game with my wife and hit Pete Jones at some point over the weekend this season. Who knows....maybe we can win a game this year. :)

Cmp1

BANNED
Small world !!!!

Thank you for your service !!!!!!!!

The types of BBQ of the region aren't highly varied......essentially pork and chicken.....with breakfast sausage being the mainstays. They do it well, though.

Glad I spent time in other parts of the country and added bbq beef and other cuts to

I'm hoping to go catch an ECU home game with my wife and hit Pete Jones at some point over the weekend this season. Who knows....maybe we can win a game this year. :)

If you get there and get a chance,go fish the Pamlico sound,,,,

Dub

If you get there and get a chance,go fish the Pamlico sound,,,,

Grew up about 20 mins South of where you were stationed. Weekends spent at Emerald Isle.

Didn't realize I was living the dream as a kid. Now I do.

Looking forward to retirement years.....daily grilling will be overlooking the boats going by on the ICW........hurricanes will be averted by heading to the mountains for a while.

Cmp1

BANNED
Grew up about 20 mins South of where you were stationed. Weekends spent at Emerald Isle.

Didn't realize I was living the dream as a kid. Now I do.

Looking forward to retirement years.....daily grilling will be overlooking the boats going by on the ICW........hurricanes will be averted by heading to the mountains for a while.
My Ex lives in Ayden,,,,