Walker-Catoosa County 2015

jlr

Had a couple good bucks on camera this week. Daytime pics.
The wind has blown 27 different directions this morning. I guess that's mnt hunting.

Inthegarge

Thought it was 11/10-11-16 according to the map. Where are you

Chattanooga Valley & Lookout Mtn....With me old eyes I can't tell between the greens... Just know I saw 20 new scrapes where there were none a couple of days ago..... Just about every deer I saw was working a scrape..

I haven't seen much in Walker either just young bucks pushing does around very few scrapes compared to last year. It's about to bust loose I believe

saw one doe scrambling up mt. 7:15, nada else but another couple dozen shots throughout cove end of lookout. at least 20 deer at half dozen different fields driving to spot along the road in the full moon light.

AJLBucks

Buddy shot a nice one today right at 10:00. Chasing a doe. May be a gut shot, jumped him and backed out. Going back later.

I finally got to bush hog my over grown field. Just created lanes. Try to post before sand afters. I actually cut a little more after I took the pic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 329

AJLBucks

After

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 365

Scotsman

I hunted Walker several times this week. Lots of scrapes being used. I have been playing a "cat-and-mouse" game with a long spike for 4 days. He has gotten the best of me 3 times, and I think it was the 2nd time that made me decide to shoot him if I had the chance. All of the meetings were while walking.

1st encounter occurred after sitting till 10:30 and then walking a bit. After walking down a fence row and coming to a gap and easing through and looking left. . .nothing, and then turning right. . .there he was 40 yards away looking at me. We had a stare down for about a minute and then he bolted away.

2nd encounter was the same thing, but at a different gap. Looked right first, and then left. Yep, there he was looking at me from 60 yards. We had another stare down for about a minute and a half and then he took off.

I didn't even think of shooting him those first two meetings. But after that 2nd meeting I started to think about it, 'well, it seems like we are playing a bit of a game here.'

3rd encounter was at the same spot as the 2nd, except I looked left first and he was back to the right about 75 yards. Same MO, a stare down for a minute. This time, I tried to get on him. I had my chair strapped to my back, my shooting sticks tucked under my arm and I just couldn't get it together. This rascal watching it all. . .dropping the shooting sticks, moving the rifle up, chair in the way, dropping the chair. At this time, I am thinking that the deer sees me as a non-threat.

4th meeting - Thanksgiving morning. I dropped my son off on one side of the property and then drove to the other side. It was beginning to get light, some of the early morning birds were starting to sing. I was running a bit late. I had to park and then walk 1/2 mile to get to where I was going to sit. I had my chair, shooting sticks, and rifle and was heading to watch a creek crossing from a fence row that is overgrown with privet. I eased through the gap in the fence, turned left to find my spot that I had trimmed up and walked right past it. It was just a bit after 7:05 am and the turkeys were yelping, getting ready to fly down. I turned back to the right and walked a few steps and then back to the left and you know what, there that dude was, looking at me from about 45 yards. I said, "Ah, we meet again."

I dropped my chair, dropped my shooting sticks, looked at him through my binoculars. . . seemingly doing anything to give this deer a chance to get out of there. . . but he continued to stare me down, so I swung my rifle off my back, bolted a round and centered on the front of his neck just above the brisket. He was looking at me almost dead on. Touched off the .308 and he dropped like a sack of rocks.

I did not get a picture of the deer, but I did recover the bullet. First time I've done this in 35 years of deer hunting. All others have passed through. This bullet hit in the dead-center of the neck about 12 inches below the throat patch and traveled through and lodged just under the skin in the flank just before the hindquarter.

On another topic, I do have some pictures of a nice young 8 that I have been watching. He showed up to check a scrape at 4:20 yesterday afternoon while we were at home preparing our Thanksgiving meal. He needs to grow a bit. I have watched him several evenings and a couple of mornings. The date is wrong on the camera.

I also posted a couple of pictures of the most butt-ugly buck I have ever seen. We have known about this guy for three years, but never got any good pictures of him. He was there at the scrape last night.

Attachments

• PRMS0002.jpg
    PRMS0002.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 354
  • PRMS0005.jpg
    PRMS0005.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 343
  • PRMS0008.jpg
    PRMS0008.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 347
  • PRMS0020.jpg
    PRMS0020.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 343
  • PRMS0018.jpg
    PRMS0018.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:

tjgregory

I hunted my grandfather's farm over Thanksgiving and saw a good amount of rut activity, but I failed to get a good look at a nice one. I believe that the bigger bucks were moving at night because of the unseasonably warm temperatures. My best chance to put a big one on the ground this season now rests on the elusive second rut and I'm hoping that it will hit over Christmas. Though I'm eager to get back in the stand, I know that the second rut is a trickle compared to the first rut and experience tells me not to expect too much, as I have never seen a rutting buck outside of the months of October and November.

Have any of y'all ever seen any kind of rut behavior from Walker County deer in late December?

Saw actual rut activity (other than deer running around) 11-28 this year. buck chasing does and grunting all the while. Often gotten good bucks in Dec. though, also seen brand new rubs on lookout and in the valleys week after season end. Jan 2.... go figure.

Inthegarge

Walker Rut

I hunted my grandfather's farm over Thanksgiving and saw a good amount of rut activity, but I failed to get a good look at a nice one. I believe that the bigger bucks were moving at night because of the unseasonably warm temperatures. My best chance to put a big one on the ground this season now rests on the elusive second rut and I'm hoping that it will hit over Christmas. Though I'm eager to get back in the stand, I know that the second rut is a trickle compared to the first rut and experience tells me not to expect too much, as I have never seen a rutting buck outside of the months of October and November.

Have any of y'all ever seen any kind of rut behavior from Walker County deer in late December?

My Ex-SIL shot 2 bucks yesterday that we chasing a Doe...Saw a lot of fresh scrapes this morning...

huntfishwork

Thanks! I hunted all week last week. Thought it would be perfect but I really don't think the does have come in yet. Saw lots of does but no boyfriends with them besides little fellers. Cameras show several mature bucks at night and alone. Good luck seems to be shaping up for a late rut around our place.