Walker-Catoosa County 2015

Scotsman

I hunted my grandfather's farm over Thanksgiving and saw a good amount of rut activity, but I failed to get a good look at a nice one. I believe that the bigger bucks were moving at night because of the unseasonably warm temperatures. My best chance to put a big one on the ground this season now rests on the elusive second rut and I'm hoping that it will hit over Christmas. Though I'm eager to get back in the stand, I know that the second rut is a trickle compared to the first rut and experience tells me not to expect too much, as I have never seen a rutting buck outside of the months of October and November.

Have any of y'all ever seen any kind of rut behavior from Walker County deer in late December?

Yes. Every year. I went out this evening and found several fresh scrapes. We will usually see bucks chasing and hear some grunting bucks from now thru the end of December. Those bucks are always looking.

nwgahunter

My buddy hunted Lookou on 12/8 and had 4 does come through. 5 minutes later and nice 8 came through trailing them.

Scotsman

I hunted Thursday morning (12/10/15) and had a hot doe trot directly below my stand. The 'butt-ugly' buck that I have a few pictures of was hot on her heels grunting every step until the .308 stopped him in his tracks. He is some kind of ugly. I will post the skull mount when I get it done. He was a heavy buck. . .I was cussing dragging him out. . .one reason not to hunt alone, but it sure was fun!!

Still a bunch of scrapes showing up.