Walton County Gobbler

wvdawg

Staff member
Quick hunt - congrats!

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
Obviously a great set up that you were able to make on him. Those are great hunts! Congrats!

BigPimpin

Nice. Give us some details. Did you have him roosted and slip in before daylight? Did you locate and cut the distance? Did you have a previous relationship with him or was this the first date? What call? Which one of you 99 turkey guns did you bust him with?

BTW, to all of you that have been skippin out on work and killin birds mid-week...you're gonna cause me drag up.

01Foreman400

Staff member
Nice. Give us some details. Did you have him roosted and slip in before daylight? Did you locate and cut the distance? Did you have a previous relationship with him or was this the first date? What call? Which one of you 99 turkey guns did you bust him with?

BTW, to all of you that have been skippin out on work and killin birds mid-week...you're gonna cause me drag up.

On opening day I saw fresh strut marks on the edge of the power line. It was close to a known roosting area. I didn't hunt Easter. On Monday morning I went ahead and got set-up on the edge of the power line an hour before dark. There are 2 roosting areas a couple of hundred yards apart from each other off the power line. So I put myself in a position to where I could go to either one. At day light he hammered and he was close. He was off the power line about 75 yards and probably 100 yards up the power line from me. On the 3rd or 4th time that he gobbled I did a soft tree Yelp and he gobbled. About a minute later I did a fly down cackle and he gobbled again. About a minute after that he flew down into the power line and the rest is history. Shot him with my SBE 2 using 3" 2.25 oz. #9 TSS.

Steve Roberts

Way to go Darrell!!! Nice bird!!!!