War Between the States trivia thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
We have had a couple of these in recent years. Lets try another.

Who ever correctly guesses the question asks is responsible for asking the next question.

Here goes the first one:

Who said "War means fighting and fighting means killing"?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
A piece of paper wrapped around three cigars was a proximate cause of the death of one of my 3G-Uncles on South Mountain in Maryland. Why?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
A piece of paper wrapped around three cigars was a proximate cause of the death of one of my 3G-Uncles on South Mountain in Maryland. Why?

That cigar wrapper was a copy of Gen RE Lees order #191 which was his plan of action for the Maryland Campaign of 1862. If McClellan hadn't been a bungling idiot the ANV could have been crushed at this time using that information .

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
That is correct. The small detachments holding the passes over South Mountain behind McLaws who was investing Harpers Ferry were crushed. Especially the boys in Crampton's Gap just above Burkittsville where a Confederate Brigade was assaulted by a Federal Corps.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I started out fighting for the Union but soon switched over to the CSA and rose to the rank of Brigadier General.

I have even cheated and tried to google this one.......... I give up;)

mwood1985

Brigadier General Frank Crawford Armstrong.
Armstrong was a captain in the regular army. He led a company of Union cavalry at the First Battle of Bull Run. However, Armstrong resigned his commission and on August 10, 1861, he joined the Confederate Army. Armstrong's Union resignation did not go into effect until August 13, he was technically on both sides at the same time on a couple differents generals staffs in the Arkansas area until 1863. Armstrong was elected as colonel of the 3rd Louisiana Infantry Regiment, and was soon given command of the cavalry of Major General Sterling Price. Two months later, he was promoted to brigadier general and commanded a cavalry division under Nathan Bedford Forrest at the Battle of Chickamauga.

mwood1985

soon as the op or someone says im right ill throw my question out there. and its gonna take a bit to answer mine lol its a good one

Status
Not open for further replies.