War Between the States trivia thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resica

Tom's Brook, '64 chasing Sheridan when Torbert turned to face Rosser who was perusing. Custer got on Torbert's flank and the races were on. By '64 the Yanks had much better horses and repeating rifles plus their cavalry skills were much improved.

Yes Sir.

westcobbdog

My battery was skirmishing with the Rebs Washington artillery posted on Pine Mt. west of Kennesaw Mt,

When I fired on a group of Generals, killing Lt Gen Polk. A few weeks later a Reb sniper killed me with his Whitworth scoped rifle near Cheatham Hill. I was a Captain.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
My battery was skirmishing with the Rebs Washington artillery posted on Pine Mt. west of Kennesaw Mt,

When I fired on a group of Generals, killing Lt Gen Polk. A few weeks later a Reb sniper killed me with his Whitworth scoped rifle near Cheatham Hill. I was a Captain.

Gosh John you ask some tough ones bud, and I aint gonna google it unless I have to ;)

But from memory.... I believe the battery that fired the shot that made that one in a million direct hit on Bishop Polk was an Iowa battery but darned if I can remember the name of it or the Captain. Maybe this will help someone else remember it.

Also as another bit of trivia, there is a monument placed up on the mountain (on private property) where Polk fell. The local SCV has a service there every June near the anniversary of Polks death. There are 3 earthen lunets still quite visible at that location.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Stoneman, captured at Sunshine Church.

I heard a few weeks ago that much of the land where the battle of Sunshine Church occured was now a hunting lease. They still find artifacts, bullets, etc. even today.

westcobbdog

Gosh John you ask some tough ones bud, and I aint gonna google it unless I have to ;)

But from memory.... I believe the battery that fired the shot that made that one in a million direct hit on Bishop Polk was an Iowa battery but darned if I can remember the name of it or the Captain. Maybe this will help someone else remember it.

Also as another bit of trivia, there is a monument placed up on the mountain (on private property) where Polk fell. The local SCV has a service there every June near the anniversary of Polks death. There are 3 earthen lunets still quite visible at that location.

Captain Peter Simonson is the yank. Lived by the shell and died by it, too.

I live near Pine Mt, that is a cool monument. Just finished a cool book by Phil Secrist about the Atlanta campaign. Dr Secrist found an unexploded Hotchkiss shell at that site in 1955. So be careful!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Correct, sir.

Another yank led another raid and got lit up somewhere around Newnan Ga.

This made Sherman realize cavalry and heavy lifting do not go together.

Im thinking you are referring to the Union Dog McCook who was admonished by General Joe Wheelers fine cavalry in that vicinity.

McCook was another like Sherman who was not popular with the locals

westcobbdog

Little Joe Wheeler was a small man who was evidently a very good cavalry General.He whipped the opposing yanks more often than not.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Little Joe Wheeler was a small man who was evidently a very good cavalry General.He whipped the opposing yanks more often than not.

Wheeler also was "recruited" into the Union Army at the rank of General in the 1890s and went to Cuba.
Some reports say he would refer to the enemy there as the "Darn" Yankees.

Gary Busey played General Wheeler in the movie Rough Riders. It is a pretty good film if you havent seen it.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
This thread is approaching 1000 posts and will have to be locked. If we want to keep it going we need to start another soon.

How about it readers and contributors.......Do yall want another ???

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I was the popular Colonel of a Georgia regiment.

In early 1863 I was appointed to replace my Brigades General due to his unfortuate death a few weeks earlier.

Who am I ????

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member

In early 1863 I was appointed to replace my Brigades General due to his unfortuate death a few weeks earlier.

Who am I ????

Hint plz, which theater of war?

Naw, I aint a gonna give it to yall. Yall are too good.
The General I replaced was reported as not well liked by some of his troops. He had even admonished them for stopping at a stream to fill canteens. That General also died at a battle which both sides call by the name of the town.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member

Who am I ????

Naw, I aint a gonna give it to yall. Yall are too good.
The General I replaced was reported as not well liked by some of his troops. He had even admonished them for stopping at a stream to fill canteens. That General also died at a battle which both sides call by the name of the town.

How about Brigadier General William T. Wofford?

Right you are Gary, but then you know which brigade/regiment I like to research and read on too since we both had ancestors in that one.

I am gonna lock this one and start another now.

Status
Not open for further replies.