War Between the States

Status
Not open for further replies.

BassRaider

While we wait on Bass to confirm above here's another nickname question...why was CSA Brig William Smith of Va called "extra Billy"?

Known nationally as “Extra Billy” because of his prewar penchant for finding loopholes in government postal contracts to gain extra money for his stagecoach lines.

westcobbdog

Known nationally as “Extra Billy” because of his prewar penchant for finding loopholes in government postal contracts to gain extra money for his stagecoach lines.

That’s him and late war he proved to be incredibly thorough in every detail from what I have read about him.

westcobbdog

Yep and he started a daily mail route from DC to Milledgeville,the then Capital of Ga.

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
Longstreet @ Antietam?

In other news, I'm reading "Confederate Goliath" by Rod Gragg. Details the defense of Wilmington and Fort Fisher. Enjoying it so far...I've never been to Wilmington, might have to make a trip.

westcobbdog

Longstreet @ Antietam?

In other news, I'm reading "Confederate Goliath" by Rod Gragg. Details the defense of Wilmington and Fort Fisher. Enjoying it so far...I've never been to Wilmington, might have to make a trip.

That is correct. The best defensive position in Lee's main line held by Hill's men suddenly pulled out of line ( after cutting down many yankees ) leaving a big void. Hordes of blue bellies went for it and Ol' Pete directed the artillery and gave them canister with help from Jebs bro in law, Cap or Col. Cooke, who hit the horde in flank, basically saving Lee's Army.

westcobbdog

This Gent accepted leadership of Jackson’s Stonewall Brigade after he was mortally wounded at Chancellorsville.
Who was he and what unusual prior history did he have with Ol Jack, his former VMI professor?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Was that Tom Fool's student who had challenged the professor to a duel? Can't remember the name though.

Status
Not open for further replies.