Warmest rubber boot

HuntingFool

I had frost bite on my feet when I was younger so my feet get cold easily. The other problem with some boots in too hot on the way to the stand so my feet sweat then get cold. I can wear boots with 400g or 1200g and my feet get cold. Tried toasty toes and those work some but again have to put in before walking in which causes more sweat. I have a pair of heated insoles with the remote that I have used the last two seasons and those seem to work better because I don't turn them on till my feet get cold. Yes I am changing to Merino Wool socks this year.

I want a new pair of rubber boots and been looking at them all. Lacrosse Alphaburly, Muck Woody Max, Irish Setter Rutmaster, Bogs......

Who out there has feet that get cold and found a good boot to recommend? Based on the following:

Comfort
Weight
Warmth

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
The muck boot.
But then my feet get to cold. I go stand in the creek. I hunt a lot from a creek. The water is warmer than the air.

Have you ever considered wearing medium weight boots, and then adding something like boot blankets (or similar) once you get to your stand? I have found them to work the best for my feet, when working with good insulated boots to temps below zero.

HuntingFool

I have thought about boot blankets. They just seem bulky to carry to and from the stand. But may have to give them a try. The rest of me is fine in cold temps. In fact I hardly ever wear a jacket. But my feet, that is a different story.

law dawg

years ago I saw David Blanton hunting in Canada I believe and he took off his boots, then put on the boot blankets with hand warmers in them.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Have you ever considered wearing medium weight boots, and then adding something like boot blankets (or similar) once you get to your stand? I have found them to work the best for my feet, when working with good insulated boots to temps below zero.
I have thought about boot blankets. They just seem bulky to carry to and from the stand. But may have to give them a try. The rest of me is fine in cold temps. In fact I hardly ever wear a jacket. But my feet, that is a different story.

Huntingfool if you try boot blankets you will NOT REGRET IT!!!
I got some for my wife who hunts but has problems with cold feet. A good deep frosty mornin will turn her pale and make her nautious from cold feet.
The boot blankets fixed that! If I'm the only one goin on a real cold mornin them I'll pack em in for myself and they are awesome!!
I go in with a little backpack everywhere so I snap the provided snap loops to the top of my pack and I hardley even know I'm packin em. No problem.
Everyone's a little different but me and people like me can't wear heavy insulated boot walking because feet will sweat. In turn making for a colder sit on the feet in the stand.

Ihunt

Your feet are going to get cold if they sweat. Nothing will change that unless you can stop the sweating.

Spray your feet with antiperspirant. Put on thin sock liners. Wear regular boots to the stand. Get in stand. Put on 1-2 pair of wool socks then slip your feet in the boot blankets. (Take off your boots) If it gets really cold, drop a hand warmer in there.

Ihunt

I read where a military survival guy suggested wearing the boot liners than cold water divers wear. He said your feet will sweat but the water will heat up to body temperature. He said take them off at night, turn them inside, let them dry, and wear again tomorrow. He did say your feet will be funky smelling but warm

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Couple of things...

1. Get a boot dryer. Especially if you wear rubber boots. Pull the insoles and dry the boots every night during cold season. You wouldn't believe how wet the underside of insoles are after a day and without drying them, they never dry out if you hunt several days in a row.

2. Change socks the minute you notice your feet start to get cold. This gets rid of wet socks and you can rub your feet to get the blood going good again. I usually change mine around noon on a full day sit. I wear 1 pair of high quality wool socks.

3. The boots have to fit loose. Personally I don't even tuck my pants into my boots when it gets brutal. I feel this keeps my clothes and boots loose around my ankles.

2 years ago I changed to a lace up 800 gram leather boots and don't think I'll ever go back to rubber, but if I did it would be lacrosse or muck in 1200 or so.

ryanh487

Muck boots.

Get moisture wicking liner socks and wear them under wool socks. I used that with muck boots for years in the coldest weather Georgia gets and can't remember my toes ever getting cold.

Sorel boots are the best rubber bottom boots I've ever bought. That's what I've used for the past several years. 30 year ago Chippewa was my favorite but I haven't found them in years. Sorels keep my feet as warm as they're gonna get when it's cold out, plus they are jist as comfortable as my every day boots.

Bubba_1122

Your feet are going to get cold if they sweat. Nothing will change that unless you can stop the sweating.
Wool will keep you warm even if you're wet (even if it's wet from sweat).

Spent 2 weeks in the Superior Quetico National Forest when I was young (that's a long time ago). That's what the outfitter recommended since we were portaging canoes and would have wet feet much of the time. I've worn wool ever since (I buy quality wool sweaters in the spring from Jos Banks to wear hunting. $100+ sweaters cost very little then.

HuntingFool

I am going with a wool sock so that should help. I think I am going to try Sea Trouts idea and wear lighter boots to the stand, which I have, and buy some boot blankets. Worth a shot. Anything is better than cold feet. My problem is that I don't get down for anything and spend many whole days in the stand with cold feet.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

That might be part of your problem, not wearing a jacket. Wearing a good hat and keeping your upper body and head warm is an important part of keeping your feet warm.

HuntingFool

Don't get me wrong, I do wear good layers and always a stocking cap to keep my head warm. Upper body is always warm.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Try a poly or silk liner sock with a Merino wool sock, and lace your boots loose so the circulation is not cut off to your feet.

Latest posts