Was i wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turpentine

It doesn't matter.
Out of the kindness of his heart he helped this guy.
The guy disrespected him by slamming his truck door several times.
The guy further disrespected him at his own front door.
I think you missed the point.
Yea, and by this post probably the type of fella who would be walking.

NOYDB

BANNED
Y'all apparently can't read. I think your local community college has courses for that.

I didn't post anything about the riders behavior. I posted about vehicle doors, the physical response to opening and shutting them. Which by the way is tested to withstand collisions by other several thousand pound vehicles.

I know I should have noticed the shop in between the Big Ten Tire shop and PepBoys that specializes in realigning truck doors. I'm sure with the flimsy trucks y'all buy it's needed on a regular basis.

He didn't want the door opened and closed with any force. Short of giving a ride to Marvels The Incredible Hulk the door wasn't in any danger. Rider should have respected his wishes. And was out of line to go to his door to complain.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Y'all apparently can't read. Rider should have respected his wishes. And was out of line to go to his door to complain.

Apparently you're the one with reading comprehension issues, but you finally got the point. Good job!

NOYDB

BANNED
Apparently you're the one with reading comprehension issues, but you finally got the point. Good job!

Not based on the evidence in this thread. I commented on one part of the OP. That comment was about a limited part of the OP. I did not comment on the whole OP nor on the same part of the OP that others keyed into. Comments on my response were not about the subject of my response.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Not based on the evidence in this thread. I commented on one part of the OP. That comment was about a limited part of the OP. I did not comment on the whole OP nor on the same part of the OP that others keyed into. Comments on my response were not about the subject of my response.

No, you just derailed another thread.

sinclair1

Lots of aluminum/ fiberglass doors out there that it says in the manual not to slam or stress the stops. Lots has changed since you worked on the GM hinge line in 1978 Mr. NOYDB.
I would put the guy out too, but I usually rule them out of getting in the truck in the first place.

The pure disrespect of doing it a third time deserved a punch in the mouth.

Cmp1

BANNED
Lots of aluminum/ fiberglass doors out there that it says in the manual not to slam or stress the stops. Lots has changed since you worked on the GM hinge line in 1978 Mr. NOYDB.
I would put the guy out too, but I usually rule them out of getting in the truck in the first place.

The pure disrespect of doing it a third time deserved a punch in the mouth.
This right here,,,,disrespect,ungrateful,,,,

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master

bany

I just thought the guy woulda been walking a lot sooner and would have regretted coming to my door.
Now I wont say what I think of Derailer except I’d like to see a video of him testing his door theory in earnest on his own truck

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Slinging a door open will spring the hinges if done enough times, or once if done forcefully enough. The door is a plus 30 pound lever. I’ve replaced many hinges and welded others because of this. Most all vehicles are currently made with cheap steel and aluminum. At the very least it will cause premature weakening of the a-post and door frame. 15 years in auto body repair here.
To the OP, I commend your restraint.

NOYDB

BANNED
I know I have done so much more then the peanut gallery. I have never bought a tinfoil truck and never will. If your truck can be damaged by opening and closing the doors forcefully, you were robbed. If you ride on a door as it is opened and closed it could be warped out of alignment. But go down to the nearest used car lot and see how many of the doors need alignment. That's not a big money maker for a body shop. But I know the peanut gallery won't take my word for it. And the chances of anyone here actually testing reality and inspecting real cars is slim.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
I was heading out yesterday and my neighbor's brother asked for a ride. Now, my neighbor is a good girl, a great neighbor so I didnt mind to drop her brother off but I told him up front that I had a few stops along the way to his destination. He said he didnt mind.
He is about 20-22 or so.

Anyway, he gets in the truck and slams the door. That irked me as I never slam vehicle doors, mine or otherwise. I asked to dont do that.

First stop, he gets out and in doing so, flings the door open hard enough to bounce the door back closed and he pushed against the "throw" of the hinges again. I said something about that as well. Both times, I am being respectful.

Getting back in, he slams the door again. Again, I bring up my position on this.

Next stop, again the door is flung open hard. This time, I'm not as polite. I go to the passenger side and open the door and explain as I'm pointing the parts, that over extending the hinges can and eventually will damage the hinges, the A pillar and/or the portion of the door where the hinges bolt on. Then I show him how to properly open and close the door. He apologized and we went inside the store.

Coming back, he slams the door yet again. I'm not nice as I told him we've been over this a few times in the past 15 minutes. Do not do it again.

One more stop before he is where he is going. Again the door is flung open then slammed shut. I didnt say a word.

When we got back to the truck, I unlock my door and get in. He taps on the glass. I get back out and told him it was the end of the line- he ain't getting in my truck again. He can walk the rest of the way.

I left him there. When I got home, I told his sister what happened, kind of a heads up that he wont be happy. She is understanding. When got back, he knocks on my door and is cussing me out for leaving him there. She hears his raised voice and went all up on his head for being ignorant and disrespectful towards me and my property.

How would you have handled him if he did this to your vehicle?
A little backhand therapy would have fixed that right up.

sinclair1

I know I have done so much more then the peanut gallery. I have never bought a tinfoil truck and never will. If your truck can be damaged by opening and closing the doors forcefully, you were robbed. If you ride on a door as it is opened and closed it could be warped out of alignment. But go down to the nearest used car lot and see how many of the doors need alignment. That's not a big money maker for a body shop. But I know the peanut gallery won't take my word for it. And the chances of anyone here actually testing reality and inspecting real cars is slim.
I got a recall of my tinfoil truck over slammed doors.
https://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/16/toyota-recalls-209-000-fj-cruisers-over-seatbelt-issue/

NOYDB

BANNED
Seat belts? Attachment points on pillarless doors. Right. Did your unicorn slam the door for you?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
What kind of truck do you drive, oh wise one?

NOYDB

BANNED
What kind of truck do you drive, oh wise one?

The brand of truck I posses has nothing to do with my contention that truck doors are not that fragile.
But for the record I've owned Toyotas, Fords and Jeeps. All bought new. As a car salesperson I have traded and sold all the brands. I worked repairing cars for two dealerships. And never had to write a service ticket to realign a door. Nor ever saw one that the other service writers wrote.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
The brand of truck I posses has nothing to do with my contention that truck doors are not that fragile.
But for the record I've owned Toyotas, Fords and Jeeps. All bought new. As a car salesperson I have traded and sold all the brands. I worked repairing cars for two dealerships. And never had to write a service ticket to realign a door. Nor ever saw one that the other service writers wrote.

probably because you did such a good job engineering the hinge while you work for all big 3 truck manufacturers.

Status
Not open for further replies.