Water stains?

Dialer

I know nothing about houses, so I’m probably get taken advantage of here. Our home of 5 years now has a new roof on it (looks new anyway), but these brown spots mysteriously appeared on our kitchen and bedroom ceilings during the recent rains. How much is this gonna cost me???

Attachments

• 6F57F110-C259-4545-BC9B-A032F6E3B884.jpeg
    6F57F110-C259-4545-BC9B-A032F6E3B884.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 70284301-0901-40B7-B5EB-E00E835612CB.jpeg
    70284301-0901-40B7-B5EB-E00E835612CB.jpeg
    185.4 KB · Views: 36

NOYDB

BANNED
If leaks are fixed the stains can be spray painted over. But ensure that leaks have been fixed first.

Dialer

So it is a leak, although roof is newer? There’s no access to this area from the attic...

GoldDot40

So it is a leak, although roof is newer? There’s no access to this area from the attic...
May not be the roof itself. Could be leaking around a vent pipe boot. The water will run down the pipe to a certain point and drip. You definitely need a professional to go up on the roof and in the attic to investigate. Might be a simple fix...might be pricey.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
5 year old house, or you've lived there 5 years? Do you think you might have Atlas Chalet shingles?
Atlas shingle Fox 5

In answer to the question, yes, fix the leak, seal the ceiling with Kilz sealant, or equal, a few thin coats, then paint to match.

We finally replaced our worn out, tired, shingle roof with metal. Metal has come a long way, didn't cost much more, and it changed the look of the house entirely, a nice benefit that I wasn't expecting. It is also hard to find a contractor that speaks "metal" fluently. (i.e. is good at what they are doing).
Dcoe8urV0AEMcep.jpg

Dcoe9JiU0AAhxMI.jpg

Last edited:

dslc6487

Looks like roof leak to me. Metal roof looks great on your house. However, lots of screws go into putting on a metal roof unless you got the overlapping kind that uses no screws. Need to locate leak as soon as you can. Try to get in touch with the people that installed the roof. May still be in warranty against leaks. I would also contact my insurance company. Need to repair as soon as possible, if not, it is only going to get worse, real quick.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Fwiw, the "overlapping" kind still uses screws, they are just hidden cosmetically (called standing seam). The fasteners and sealing washers, have improved dramatically, along with the metal and paint technology.

Anyhow, good luck, hope you get it worked out "soon", because it sure has been a season of mon"soons".

ratlird

If you have Allstate insurance they won't pay for fixing it, but they will tell you that is was caused by critters peeing in the attic. This is no joke, they told me that before I threw them out of my house. Worst insurance company around.

Jim Baker

Staff member
I know nothing about houses, so I’m probably get taken advantage of here. Our home of 5 years now has a new roof on it (looks new anyway), but these brown spots mysteriously appeared on our kitchen and bedroom ceilings during the recent rains. How much is this gonna cost me???

If you have the roof repaired try a 50/50 bleach solution and daub it on the stains with a sponge. Don't wipe, daub. Cover ever thing below and wear old clothing. don't put to much on at a time and then dry with a hair dryer and repeat as need. I had similar stains from water running down a vent pipe with a bad boot. It cleared the stains up to where you had to know where they were to see them. Save painting the entire ceiling.

I have also used bleach as mentioned above to make stains completely disappear. I have used a sponge, as mentioned, and also a spray bottle.

westcobbdog

looks like a toe board nail leak...maybe $125 and you are done...just need to kilz then repaint.

swamp hunter

Your Color should be...Hopefully , Ceiling White. It's what Builders..and everybody else is suppose to use.

Killdee

While that looks great is more like a roof leak,we always look for a plumbing leak or hvac condensation leaks when we have ceiling stains to investigate. If you have a low pitch roof like pictured above, and your not afraid to go up. It could be as simple as a backed out nail or nail head exposed or as mentioned,a vent boot or a toe board nail hole that might be harder to find. After it’s fixed try the bleach first then if still showing use kilts upspray and 3 coats.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
As stated previously, don't paint the stain. Apply 50-50 bleach-water. I prefer a spray bottle. The stain will disappear.

If the bleach water mixture doesn't work 100% I use Kilz shellac primer. Normal Kilz water based primer ain't all that IMHO.

Grayback

They will send someone to inspect it, wont cost you a dime!
“Won’t cost you a dime”. You may be surprised. Once you call your carrier to file the claim it is on your record, covered or not. Have a roofer inspect ,or possibly a plumber, since you mentioned not accessible from attic. They would best be able to determine cause of loss and whether or not repair would even meet your deductible.

bany

Seems most of the reasons have been touched on even the rodents, which you shouldn’t disregard. Trees over or too close to house makes that likely. MAKe a list to narrow down your possibilities. Do you have hvac in attic? Vent boots are a likely source. One of my customers has a new house that didn’t get a good ridge vent put on and the water ran right in terribly. Good luck!