water stones

jigman29

I love sharpening kives and finally decided to order a few water stones. I have never owned one before and had a couple questions.

How do you store them? Dry or leave in water?

If you store in water how often do you change it to keep it from getting stagnant?

If you store dry how long do I soak before using them?

Maybe thats all I have lol

Artfuldodger

Some years ago it seems the trend shifted from oil to water stones. I think the Japanese have always used water.
I have already put oil on my Arkansas stones so I guess I'm stuck with oil.
I do use water on my diamond stone. Water seems less messy.

For some reason my stones are so hard and slick that the oil seems to interfere with the work of the stone. Like it's too slippery to cut. the knife just glides on top of the oil without reaching the stone.
Maybe my oil is too thick.

Maybe that's the reason people use water.

Buck111

Store them dry. I'd soak them in water for a few minutes prior to use, keep them wet while using them. Don't stress over using them, there's no secret formula for their use. Just use and enjoy them...

Anvil Head

Soak your oil stones in kerosene then clean with a fine wire brush to renew. Get in the habit of flushing your stones after use and Keeping clean. They will last longer and work better.
Note: Do not use wd40 for cutting fluid, the laquer build up will quickly clog your stone.
If they are getting "dished" from use, get some coarse wet/dry carbide sanding paper and lay on a flat surface like glass or marble. Use plenty of cutting fluid - light oil or water if a waterstone. Slowly rub the stone surface with moderate pressure (face down) until you get it back to flat flush. Simple process and makes the stone basically brand new.

Latest posts