Way to many hunters on small tract of land

Buford_Dawg

I was sitting on my tailgate Sunday morning waiting on my dad to come out of the woods and 3 different trucks existed from the small tract of land across the dirt road from my property. One of them stopped and asked if I needed any additional members on my club. I told him no as we only had 230 acres and had 5 of us hunting it. He laughed and said there were 5 hunters hunting the 35 acre tract of private land directly across the road from us. I said "are you serious, isnt that a little crowded". He said the private landowner leased it out to 2 different persons and each person then had a couple of buddies in on it. So, on both opening morning and on Sunday morning, they had 5 hunters hunting on this 35 acres. They all saw deer and 3 does were taken according to him. I did hear alot of shooting over there.

I hope they all don't anticipate killing a bunch of deer each as I don't see how 35 acres can support very many deer harvests. I hate to hear that type of hunting pressure is so close to my property and what is worse is that all 5 of these hunters live within 10 miles of the land, so they hunt it all week. Hopefully the pressure on their side of the road will push the deer over to my hunting land as we have light pressue on our land.

woody116

Buford_Dawg said:
I hope they all don't anticipate killing a bunch of deer each as I don't see how 35 acres can support very many deer harvests.

Sounds a little like my situation. There are 4 of us hunting 10 acres. :( :( Last year there was only two of us, and it worked out. This year, the other guy has brought his son into the picture. I guess the owners didnt communicate and it was overlooked that I was hunting again this year. Then, a fourth guy wants to get his young son some tree time, so they will be hunting also.
Good news is that this property connects to a very large wooded area that no one is allowed to hunt on, and we are basically a funnel to a now picked bean field.

Glenn

I think I would be finding me another place to hunt :banginghe

My lease is 150 ac and there are 4 of us that hunt it and we are all not on it most of the time.

BigMassiveDaddy

Buford_Dawg said:
I hope they all don't anticipate killing a bunch of deer each as I don't see how 35 acres can support very many deer harvests.

We had a piece of land next to us that was 65 acres, but was only about 250 yards wide at the most. Those people packed about 10 people on it and wore the deer out. There were plenty of stands that they could see each other. They didn't have much on their land, but sure did see a lot of deer crossing over it. That's probably the situation you may be dealing with. They killed 25 deer that year. That off season, we called the landowner, told them 10+ people were hunting and since he didn't like that, he gave us the lease. He didn't want someone getting shot. Needless to say, we did away with most of our trespassors that year too.

Last edited:

BRYAN T

That Sounds Very Extreme To Me.

I Am On Two Leases.

2 Of Us On 94 Acres
And
6 Of Us On 1029 Acres

Very Low Pressure

jeffw

jackson county

I was in a club one year in jackson that had 17 people on 70 acres. Key word "was".

You could not of given me a million to be a deer just for one day!

Bowhunter24

I would imagine that with all that pressure on the 35 acres it would push more deer on to ur land so u should benifit from there stupidity