We found a bomb with a metal detector

tween_the_banks

Holy smokes folks! I never thought the day would come but we finally found an entire artillery shell from the civil war. It's a parrot shell and it's a beauty for sure sure. Check it out!

DannyW

Nice find...have you had a weapons expert look at it? What are the chances that it's still a live round? Can black powder last 150+ years buried underground in a presumably air tight container?

PappyHoel

Very cool I have a garret at gold but I have no idea where to go without getting in trouble. The laws are also sketchy

tween_the_banks

Nice find...have you had a weapons expert look at it? What are the chances that it's still a live round? Can black powder last 150+ years buried underground in a presumably air tight container?

Yes, black powder can last that long. There have been several people die attempting to "disarm" artillery shells. We are going to pay a fellow to defuse it. He has a drill set up over 100 yards from his house that he can operate from his house.

3ringer

Nice find but you failed to give us coordinates

tween_the_banks

Very cool I have a garret at gold but I have no idea where to go without getting in trouble. The laws are also sketchy

Many hours of door knocking and asking for permission. I tell ya, it sure has helped me get new deer hunting permissions too.
As long as you are on private property, you're clear. You starting getting on public property, like parks and recreation areas, yes, the laws can get a little gray.
I had a guy try to run me off of a public park 5 times. I just kept ignoring him. Eventually, I just went to the police station and talked to the officers. They didn't see any harm in it and told me to call them if that guy showed back up. He ended up showing back up the very next time I went detecting and I told him that I had spoken to the city and was told I could detect as long as I was neat with my digging. Haven't seen him since.

PappyHoel

Many hours of door knocking and asking for permission. I tell ya, it sure has helped me get new deer hunting permissions too.
As long as you are on private property, you're clear. You starting getting on public property, like parks and recreation areas, yes, the laws can get a little gray.
I had a guy try to run me off of a public park 5 times. I just kept ignoring him. Eventually, I just went to the police station and talked to the officers. They didn't see any harm in it and told me to call them if that guy showed back up. He ended up showing back up the very next time I went detecting and I told him that I had spoken to the city and was told I could detect as long as I was neat with my digging. Haven't seen him since.

Yep your experience is exactly why I haven't gone to public places. The law says you can even go detect on school property but it's vague. I don't want to be harassed like you were.

As far as civil war artifact hunting I would need to do some research and then go knock doors. Good idea about combining it with deer permission.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Excellent find. There's still plenty of that stuff out there if you're willing to look for it.:cool:

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Cool find. is it union or Confederate? Would it be worth looking at the direction it was pointed and backtracking to a possible launching location?

tween_the_banks

Cool find. is it union or Confederate? Would it be worth looking at the direction it was pointed and backtracking to a possible launching location?

We're pretty sure where both the Confederates and the Union soldiers were set up at. Problem is, some of these shells can travel close to a mile. It's fun trying to track them down.

tween_the_banks

Word is you are a fake.

But, if you want to come wallow in some briars for 2 hours with me for a couple of bullets in between 57 square nails, 32 stove pieces, 15 pull tabs and an intriguing assortment of can slaw... send me a PM. I'll show you real quick that I earn every item I post here. There's no hobby I've found that takes more dedication and patience than relic hunting. Not even the pursuit of mature white tail bucks.

Word is, you're a troll.:smash: