Not open for further replies.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Why is this considered wrong?
Be specific.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I never figured this one out, either. Just another stupid rule with no sense behind it that some French feller came up with back in 1585, I guess, and it stuck.

pjciii

Men
Hats can be left on…

Outdoors
At athletic events (indoors or out)
On public transportation
In public buildings such as post offices, airports, and hotel or office lobbies
On elevators

Take hats off, including baseball caps …

In someone’s home
At mealtimes, at the table
While being introduced, indoors or out (unless it’s frigid!)
In a house of worship, unless a hat or head covering is required
Indoors at work, especially in an office (unless required for the job)
In public buildings such as a school, library, courthouse, or town hall
In restaurants and coffee shops
At a movie or any indoor performance
When the national anthem is played
When the flag of the United States passes by, as in a parade

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Men
Hats can be left on…

Outdoors
On public transportation
On elevators

In someone’s home

Why? Who made these rules? When?

basshound72

My hat comes off. When I go to bed, take shower, or go to church, funerals, national anthem, pledge of allegiance, or prayer. If I have to take it off anywhere else, Then I simply don't go to there and everyone that knows me, knows that my hat is not coming off for no other reasons than what's listed. So they know better than to ask me to go or do anything other than that

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Men
Hats can be left on…

Outdoors
On public transportation
On elevators

In someone’s home
And, Why? Makes no sense at all.

GeorgiaBob

In general, hats distort or disguise your appearance and your unrecognized approach to another person represents an immediate threat. To allay the natural and reasonable fear of the person you are approaching, remove your hat and hold it away from you body so that you are both recognizable and less threatening. That general, and very common sense, approach has become stylized over the centuries. The military salute is - in fact - a stylized modification of that response. Similarly, a subsequent handshake proves that your weapon hand is empty and the person in front of you is empty handed.

You open a door for a woman, because she is likely carrying something and your hands should be otherwise free to make it easier to reach for your weapon should a threat approach (like some jerk who isn't taking his hat off).

Only the grossly ignorant fail to understand these simple rules. Whether you follow the rules probably depends on how safe you pretend you are.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
My hat comes off. When I go to bed, take shower, or go to church, funerals, national anthem, pledge of allegiance, or prayer. If I have to take it off anywhere else, Then I simply don't go to there and everyone that knows me, knows that my hat is not coming off for no other reasons than what's listed. So they know better than to ask me to go or do anything other than that
This is what my hubby does. He has been known to forget to take it off in the shower and even sleep with it on. :bounce: Back in the day he would take it off at the dinning table, but not anymore. Only during the blessing.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
In general, hats distort or disguise your appearance and your unrecognized approach to another person represents an immediate threat. To allay the natural and reasonable fear of the person you are approaching, remove your hat and hold it away from you body so that you are both recognizable and less threatening. That general, and very common sense, approach has become stylized over the centuries. The military salute is - in fact - a stylized modification of that response. Similarly, a subsequent handshake proves that your weapon hand is empty and the person in front of you is empty handed.

You open a door for a woman, because she is likely carrying something and your hands should be otherwise free to make it easier to reach for your weapon should a threat approach (like some jerk who isn't taking his hat off).

Only the grossly ignorant fail to understand these simple rules. Whether you follow the rules probably depends on how safe you pretend you are.
I recognize everybody I know when they are wearing a hat. Some of them, I wouldn't recognize without one. That explanation makes no sense at all.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
On a similar note, why are you not acceptably dressed for polite company unless you tie an uncomfortable, funny looking rag around your neck and tighten it up until it chokes you?

pjciii

Most men who leave their hats on are not comfortable or embarrassed by their thinning or balding head. Can't just say they wore it off on the headboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.