Webster County

Curtis

We had 7 guys out there this weekend. 2 does and 2 pigs killed. Only one guy saw any bucks. A 7pt and a 6pt that were dogging a doe. Most of us had no or only one brief encounter with any deer. A couple of bucks were taken earlier last week. Even then, they were about all that were seen.

jam

We have done everything possible to eliminate them short of bringing in some specialized hog hunters. They want go in trap anymore and only move around at night so hunting them don't work for us. We just finished fencing off all our feeders and I believe this may help, time will tell. At least they want be eating the corn and protein pellets meant for the well being of our deer herd!

Curtis

Interesting idea of fencing off the feeders. Thanks for the tip. The landowner for our lease (which also has ag fields) brought in shooters this summer and I am told they took out around 30 pigs. We and our neighbors are also shooting them as much as we can - 8 since mid October. Still saw a heard of them just this past weekend.
Between the pigs, the hurricane, lack of a decent acorn crop for 2 years running, it just ain't the same in our neck of the woods. Will see what the rest of the season holds.

jam

Had a great day at paradise on Friday, five different bucks Friday morning while sitting at one of our honey holes, all were cruising by there selves. Then Friday evening on a different stand three different bucks was putting on one heck of a chase with this particular old gal. Saturday brought more action seen by my boys. Things were heating up again. Just passing on the info.

DynamicDennis

Good morning. Had a member kill a real nice buck on Sunday out cruising. Bucks have been on their feet, hope they still are by this weekend.

Curtis

Best buck of the year killed this week on our lease. Hope the big boys are still moving during Christmas week. Will be my next available time to get out there. Thanks for the updates.

Curtis

Heading out to lease for first time in a month. Hope all this rain has the water levels so high in our swamp that the deer and pigs will be pushed to the high ground. Will see.

DynamicDennis

I hope you are right as we are pretty high and dry on my side ha ha Ha I’m gonna be heading up for the last weekend. Got a move a bunch of Stands they are supposed to come in and do some cutting sometime soonest

fishman1957

Heading up next week with my son Dennis and Grand daughter Savannah hopefully we can see some deer and get a shot !!!! All the trail camera pictures seem to point to all the deer being nocturnal

Curtis

Food plots are in, stands are ready to go. Lots of young bucks and a couple of mature ones on camera. One nice 8pt already down. Pigs are back. Waiting for rain and cooler weather to get the food plots going. Looks like October is going to be another hot one. Have been taking it easy on the does the last couple of years, hope this year sees more activity even if harvest stays low.

DynamicDennis

About the same except the pigs. one of ours shot a 1yr old 8 pt a couple weeks ago. Our numbers look good as far as ratio, glad we really don't get many pigs. We don't have enough water to keep them

jam

Planted our plots a couple weeks ago, dry as powder and will not come up till we get some rain. Maybe 2016 all over again as far as the food plots. Water Oaks started dropping and that give some relief on the feeders. Hog sign has slowed due to fencing around feeders. Fairly good camera activity just not what we looking for yet, maybe cooler weather will get the bigger boys moving.

jam

Had 0.20 inches of rain at our place in Webster around midnight last night. Hope we get some more!

jam

My weather station is reporting 0.75 inches since midnight, what a blessing, country side was terribly dry. There are mature trees dying from this drought. Our area has really suffered the last two years, between the hurricane last year and drought this year.

jam

Looking at 2.41 inches as of right now since midnight. Hope our seed survives it too! Grain should be fine, may get some washing around of clover and alfalfa.

jam

Slow and uneventful! Currently we are seeing groups of does feeding and a few small bucks. More or less hit or miss, early for our area. Cameras indicate feeding in the early morning hours just before day break and bucks still running two and three together. Food plots are coming fast from the great rain we had, should be even better in another week or so. The deer should start pounding them and help spread the sightings around.