weed control for durana clover

cliff&pam

wont be long before weeds start to take over my newly planted durana clover.What type of herbicde can I use on my clover.When should I fertilize. any input will be appreciated:cheers:

Killdee

Poast or a generic version. 0-20-20 fertilizer in the spring and fall, plus most folks mow it 1-2 times a season, not short just trim the top and that gets the weeds and grass that might grow out of it also.

kyhunter

Mowing really helps but you can apply Volunteer(a generic herbicide) will help you with grass also

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Another grass selective herbicide you can use, is something with Clethodim in it. Arrow 2EC used with crop oil is what I use. It will just take care of the grass tho, like Poast & Volunteer. With Clethodim, it really takes about 3 weeks to be able to see the "kill" that you got in the grass, so if you use it, just give it time.

You can fertilize in both April and September, using 0-20-20, which has no nitrogen in it, at a rate of 200 lbs/acre. I'd do that the first year and then take a soil test the following February and see what the soil test tells you to do. We aren't really harvesting the clover as a crop, so we aren't "removing" a lot of the Potassium & Phosphorous from the soil. The deer & other critters are "depositing" some of that back in the soil, LOL, (manure) as they feed, so let a soil test be your guide and maybe you can save some $.

Then when the broadleaf weeds are actively growing, you can mow them down, but like others have said, don't scalp your clover.

If in April 2012, you find that you still have too many broadleaf weeds & grass, we can talk about a spraying program using glyphosate (RoundUp). Your clover will had dropped a good amount of seed into the soil, by that time, as well. Just remember, too, that some of those weeds in the clover plot are edible plants for the critters, as well, so not all weeds are bad.

GeorgeShu

2X on Canuck, he is spot on.
I have grass as my main weed problem in my clover. Some grasses are harder to kill than others. If you use Poast, you may need a second spaying 2-3 weeks after the first to know out the tougher grasses.

You can also spot spray problem broadleaf weeds. That limits the kill on your clover vs a broadcast spraying.

killa86

arrest herbicide works good on the grass but your actually supposed to let it get tall before you spray it.

killa86

slay is the one for broadleaf control in clover

bruiserbuckgrower

anything with 13% sethoxydim at 2-3oz per 1000sqft will control grassy weeds and is alot cheaper than the whitetail institute arrest, doesnt do anything for the broadleaf weeds though and depending what you prefer you can use 0-0-60 at 100-200lbs to the acre instead of the 0-20-20 only because your P takes so long to breakdown. but every third year i would use the 0-20-20. most of my clover plots have chicory and alfalfa mixed in and the only good broadleaf weed control i have found is mowing