Weekly Trapline SW Georgia

Mark K

Banned
How quail survive the Sping/Summer is beyond me. I would have to get out of the truck to move them out of the roads when checking traps. And yes these are wild birds.

Mark K

Banned
You are the man!! Just curious, males or females. I’m about even...2 females, a male and female, then the last 2 have been males. I really don’t know coyote behavior like I should. I’m guessing it’s mating season? Or looking for mates?

Ol' Gobblero

1 male, 3 females. None of the females have visibly been in heat. I believe they are mostly finished breeding this time of year. Maybe a few females that didn’t get bred are still in heat. March is always my strongest month on coyotes. I normally catch 30-35 in March. Something about this time of the year. Not sure what it is.

Ol' Gobblero

On a side note I did find a newly constructed den site on Saturday. I believe the coyote breeding season is like the deer rut, long and drawn out, with definite peaks in activity. I caught coyotes last year in March that were already visibly pregnant.

mossyoakpro

That a Ranger you are running Ol' Gobbero? Been looking at side by sides...

Ol' Gobblero

Their gestational period is about 62 days. So there could be younger pups. Especially if the female was bred in late March, early April.