Well, we didn't eliminated the species

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Everybody said allowing baiting in the Northern zone would bring about a deer apocalypse and the herd would disappear.

Numbers are up in the Georgia deer harvest report.......

This season, we managed to kill 20,000 fewer deer than last season.

ryanh487

One thing baiting did help with was ticks. The neighbors must be feeding those protein pellets with tick repellent/ whatever in them because there was not a single tick on any of the 8 deer we killed this year throughout the season, and that's unheard of.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Everybody said allowing baiting in the Northern zone would bring about a deer apocalypse and the herd would disappear.

Yeah, we saw more deer than ever and managed to shoot less this year. And we had a great season!

ddd-shooter

Is that statewide? or did you just extrapolate the northern zone counties?
I'd be interested in the number from the mountain counties. Especially with the lack of acorns. Should be a great indicator of the most impact baiting should have.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Is that statewide? or did you just extrapolate the northern zone counties?
I'd be interested in the number from the mountain counties. Especially with the lack of acorns. Should be a great indicator of the most impact baiting should have.

That's statewide, but I looked at my county and as of this morning, we harvested about 50 fewer than last year.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE

So where does that say how many deer are still walking?

20,000 less harvested than last year with the addition of baiting added also this season doesn’t sound like a good sign or indicator either way you look at it. You’ll know more after next season results but still won’t know how it is affecting the herd numbers that are alive.
I will gamble and say next year’s herd harvest is going to be even less than this season was. Which to me is not a good sign. If it’s more than this season that would indicate an improvement MAYBE. Two years results are meaningless.

toolmkr20

Here in my county we killed less this year by about 130 deer. We did however kill 117 more bucks this year compared to last. Not sure if its the weather or baiting allowing people to be more picky about what they shoot.

ryanh487

what ? I thought they didn't pass the northern baiting bill?
They didn't. Deal issued an EO with instructions for the DNR to determine the baiting boundary and they moved it north to the border of the chattahoochee national forest.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
We got more interesting trail cam pics out of the whole deal. And a wild pig!
Great season for us

The mtn man

Those on our lease that bait actually shot less does this year than ever, which is a good thing, they saw more than ever too, but for some reason didn't feel like they needed to shoot every doe they saw. I think that by them seeing the deer consistently on their corn piles they didn't get the shoot reaction when they saw one.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The funny part, the deer over on my property on the SC/GA line won't eat corn. You can carry a sack of corn in the woods here, and the deer will follow you. Down there, it'll rot if the coons and squirrels and crows and foxes don't eat all of it. The deer show 0 interest.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Here in my county we killed less this year by about 130 deer. We did however kill 117 more bucks this year compared to last. Not sure if its the weather or baiting allowing people to be more picky about what they shoot.

I'm thinking the weather played a big part since a lot of the Florida and South GA guys couldn't go hunting after the hurricane. The rain made it tough up here in the used to be northern zone too. I'm also hoping hunters are learning to let the does walk. It's the best way to increase your deer population.

Mark K

Banned
A lot of areas down South weren’t accessible with fallen trees and then the flooding. There should be more deer than ever next year. And if we have another wet Spring and Summer then they might need to increase the doe limit down South.

deermaster13

Less killed in my county as last 2 years. Rain slowed it down I believe. I also believe they get accustomed to the food source and use corn piles at night more than daylight hours when that pressure gets put on them.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
With the weak crop of hard mast across N GA there shoulda been more big animals harvested IMO. Where I thunt, if you throw corn out they'll just wait for dark.. The big'uns are good at staying alive