Well, we didn't eliminated the species

30%

that's a lot

I will say this, of all the deer coolers and processors I visited, all of them required a conformation number to leave your harvest.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
That's surprising to me. So, we can add 30% to the published kill total and have the state's estimate on harvest numbers?

Basically yes, but it's a little more complicated than that. Compliance rate differs regionally and by the sex of the deer. Does are reported at a lower rate than bucks. The 30% is an average of all those variations statewide.

rosewood

If it ain't reported, how do you know? Kind of like how many illegal immigrants are in our country. No real way to tally those that are not documented.

Seems to me it is a best guess.

buckpasser

I’m not sure how they get the 30%, but it seems simple enough by some anonymous polling by a few folks. “How many did you kill/report?” or even better for accurate political polling “How many do you think your neighbors killed vs reported?” That should pretty quickly get an accurate idea for reported and not.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
If it ain't reported, how do you know? Kind of like how many illegal immigrants are in our country. No real way to tally those that are not documented.

Seems to me it is a best guess.

It's what we can document from hunter surveys. There is no method out there to account for every deer killed, nor is it needed. All harvest totals are estimates obtained in a standardized manner each year and we manage deer based on the trends in those estimates.

8pointduck

I’ve killed more public land deer than most. No corn piles ever needed.

Sounds like sour grapes on your part.

I spend more on my corn piles than you spend on your lease. And that’s just a couple feeders. Mine are full now and will stay full year round.

I think you are just sour cause they cut your lease a few years ago in October and you are looking for ANY excuse.

Maybe you should learn to adapt to the land. The deer on your lease never left cause trees were being cut.

Quit thinking like a human. Try thinking like an animal.

SAY WHAT!:LOL:. What are you talking about? What lease? You got me mistaken for someone else. Even if I did, what does that have to do with it?

I don't have a problem with supplemental feeding. Do it myself. I use more than corn so …………… I will mix in Godfrey's.

Oh , and of you are paying that much for corn then you might look for another supplier.

Oh, I did not hurt your feelings did I? I mean the sour grapes comment and all. No excuses here.

8pointduck

Thanks ? , and u are rt I’m a stone cold killer , how did your season go ! My 15 yr old daughter probably works harder planting food plots (bait) and filling feeders, cutting shooting lanes , scouting, hanging stands, than most on here , and she’s killed her limit of bucks the past 3 years , she has a good teacher though.... that don’t know how to hunt ... have a good day !
Did I hurt your feelings? I truly apologize. But, what does your 15 year old daughter have to do with sitting on a pile of corn. And thinking food plots are bait. That is if you hunt over them too. Now the stone cold killer thing was really a joke. Why in the world have you gone off the deep end?

Last edited:

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Did I hurt your feelings? I truly apologize. But, what does your 15 year old daughter have to do with sitting on a pile of corn. And thinking food plots are bait. That is if you hunt over them too. Now the stone cold killer thing was really a joke. Why in the world have you gone off the deep end?
Maybe I took offense to the maybe u need to learn how to hunt comment , because I can assure u I know how to hunt , and what my daughter has to do with it is I’ve taught her how to hunt way before baiting was legal and if I or her or anyone else wants to hunt over bait I promise it doesn’t mean they need to learn how to hunt, and I don’t think anyone that can’t kill a deer should be offended by someone who shoots one over bait

8pointduck

Maybe I took offense to the maybe u need to learn how to hunt comment , because I can assure u I know how to hunt , and what my daughter has to do with it is I’ve taught her how to hunt way before baiting was legal and if I or her or anyone else wants to hunt over bait I promise it doesn’t mean they need to learn how to hunt, and I don’t think anyone that can’t kill a deer should be offended by someone who shoots one over bait

No, I understand. It was all in jest. I usually do supplemental feeding myself,so it is all good. I , like you, taught my son. So it is a great thing you have done with your daughter. I could not be offended for something that is legal. I am disabled so you might catch me doing it before it is over.