West Fork Chattooga and tributaries

ArrowJack

I'm thinking about trying out some new mountain streams in hopes of catching some brooks. Anyone have any experience on the west fork of the Chattooga and its tributaries in Rabun county? I plan to go out there Saturday morning 06/01.

Last edited:

flyrod444

Haven't fished the west fork in more than 20 years. It use to fish well up towards three forks. If you like small stream fishing Holcomb Creek which is one of the three creeks that make the west fork can be great. I caught a few wild brown in it that were 18" + back in the day. Big Creek is the right hand fork and fishes well in the North Carolina portion , never fished the Georgia part of the creek.
Tight lines,

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
It's been since the 1970's that I fished the West Fork. Beautiful spot and good water up to the split; never saw a brookie. Be careful going near Holcomb Creek Falls. A friend's cousin fell and died from the fall. A lot of Holcomb is road accessible. One day we took a forced march up Big Creek to the highway. Not a fun trip and the fishing wasn't good--a lot of flat water if memory serves.

cohuttahunter

I've caught all three species in the west fork. Very pretty water, my experience is it gets warm as the spring and summer progresses and doesn't fish as well as it does early in the season. I don't have much experience above three forks.