Western hunt question Rifle elk and rifle mule deer at same time

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Is Montana the only western state for DIY General rifle hunt where elk and mule deer can be hunted at same time with modern rifle?
We got a group of 5 talking about a near future western hunt. Some want elk some want mule deer. We are rifle hunters. One of us guys is already spending time in Utah and Idaho doing firefighting stuff but he is still confused on tag system.
Thanks for any info! I felt like I was hijacking another guys thread and didn't mean to do that so wanted to start my own. Great info on that other Montana thread by the way!
We're lookin online also and are always confused.
Youtube video is my favorite but most of them don't spend time talking about the tag system.

sea trout

Cool thanks for that information Shotgun!

sea trout

In Montana it say's the appication date is March 15
Is that March 15 only? Or are apps still open to apply for a bonus/priority point for the 2020 season?

I think what's getting me confused is looking at all the states and getting confused by different terminology before I understand 1 state.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I'm pretty sure all mule deer tags are draw tags in Colorado. So the guys that want mule deer would have to draw a tag first.

Then it would have to be in a unit that you can by Elk OTC tags. Some game units are draw for elk some are not. Also you would have to make sure the seasons run at the same time.

Its a complicated question that will require some research. Id focus on the mule deer first. Once you figure out what it will take to get a deer tag. It will be easy to figure out if you can get an elk tag for the same time.

175rltw

BANNED
All mule deer rifle tags in Colorado are draw only- though plenty go with 0 points and there are even leftovers that go like tickle me Elmo dolls the week before Christmas. They are first made available through the draw and that’s your best chance for one.

Idaho deer and elk seasons run concurrently those tags are wavilable over the counter but that’s a long drive past a ton of elk and deer to see more of the same but steeper with more wolves.

Wyoming has some elk and deer that run concurrently but it’s 3 pints for the elk tag.

zaraspook04

I can only speak for Colorado because that it where my research and hunting has been.
You can purchase OTC elk tags, but there are no OTC mule deer tags. Mule deer tags are draw only. However, you can still get a mule deer tag...here is how. All leftover draw tags will post the end of July...in a few days. August 6th the leftover draw tags will be available for purchase.
For example...if there are 200 draw tags for a certain unit and only 100 of the 200 draw tags have been paid for, the 100 left over tags will go on sale August 6th. Those tags will remain available for purchase up until that season ends. Hypothetically, you could get a tag for a mule deer and a tag for an elk in the same unit for the same season.
Yes, trying to figure out all the draw dates, info, point system, etc. is mind numbing! I've mentioned Randy Newberg on here before, and I am going to mention him again. He hosts a couple pod casts and has a youtube channel. This winter and spring, he did an extensive series on each state in the west about elk applications....really great and informative. He also goes into detail about point creep. He also goes into detail about how to get an elk tag with no points or very few points. Elk Talk is a pod cast that he and Corey Jacobson host together. Hunt Talk Radio Randy Newberg Unfiltered is his podcast.
My first advice is to know what you want out of a hunt. I am totally DIY public land. I have no desire to do a guided hunt. I've hunted all my life right here in the southeast, but always wanted to go out west. I finally did it last year, and I'm headed back in October. Words cannot describe the amazing experience I had. My only regret is that I did not do it sooner in life!
Shoot me a PM if you want more details. I'll share my number and we can talk. With all the research I did, there was very little in helping a southern boy get prepared for a western hunt. Don't get me wrong, nothing can replace actually doing it, but western hunting is a totally different process than hunting here in the south.
Best of luck...

zaraspook04

The Colorado left over licenses are out. There are good numbers of leftover draw tags available. August 6th the tags will be available for purchase.

sea trout

The Colorado left over licenses are out. There are good numbers of leftover draw tags available. August 6th the tags will be available for purchase.
What if we wanted to go elk and mule deer hunting the same week next year in 2020? What would you put if for this year that may help getting drawn to hunt next fall?
Thanks for your help!