Western Ky

Cavalry Scout

Going to west Ky in early Oct. any pointers on tatics, food sources, stand location? Gonna be really close to the river, low lands and crops.

Bowhunter77

I live in Kentucky, I would recommend coming first week of November. October is not good except forced movement during muzzleloader and youth weekend. In all my years living here I hardly ever see a good one at that time, I hunt 3 days a week too.

Jim Boyd

I live in Kentucky, I would recommend coming first week of November. October is not good except forced movement during muzzleloader and youth weekend. In all my years living here I hardly ever see a good one at that time, I hunt 3 days a week too.

This. (Above)

If possible.

If you have bean or alfalfa hunt the trails coming to field in the afternoon.

Many successful hunters spend a few afternoons slow cruising and glassing the fields to see where the bucks are coming into the fields.

Good luck.

Hate to say this but I have annual access in Illinois and I would not even consider an early season hunt. If I lived up there I would hunt (after glassing) but I am not taking time off to go.

KingThree

Agree with the other guys. If you can, go first week or so in Nov. I’ll be up there nov 4-7th off the Ohio river hunting the flats off some ag fields.

I have hunted Todd County, Kentucky for at least a dozen years now and the advice about waiting until the first week of November given above is spot on.

I do hunt the short, 2 day, early ML season in mid October, but it's nothing like the pre rut and rut happening from about 1 thru 20 November. In my area bucks are on their feet that we hadn't seen on cam in daytime before and they are cruising and chasing.

We even get some we've not seen all summer and fall on cam coming into the area. It is a truly special time in that area. My home state of Tn's (I live very close to the border) prime time is during the early 2 week ML and bow hunters do well just b4 and during that time.

FWIW, the world record whitetail buck was killed in 2016 in Tennessee not far from where I hunt both Ky/Tn and it was killed with a ML on the 2nd day of the season.