Whale bone artifact

Thread starter #1

godogs57

Thought this was pretty neat. I've found a few whale bones, teeth, etc in our creeks down this way and a few in the Flint as well but never one that was used as a tool. Appears to be shaped similarly to a stone celt like we stumble on from time to time. Enjoy

Whale bone 1.jpg Whale bone 2.jpg

GLS

Good that it's fossilized. Otherwise there are possession issues relating to parts of marine mammals. Neat artifact on two levels. I wonder if the marks indicate it was worked into shape when it was actual bone before it mineralized. If so, it would have been brought inland by man. Most likely it wasn't and was worked when it was stone. Gil

Miguel Cervantes

GON Severe Weatherman
Just imagine if you could meet and talk with everyone that has ever handled that tool over history.

Just curious, how much $ would a fossilized whale bone found in dadgum south GA sell for on the interwebs. Surely, SURELY that thing is worth some money, right?!
Howany thousands of years old do you guys speculate things like that may be?

Not much response...guess I’ll delete
Heck no....that’s an awesome find in my opinion. Glad I stumbled upon it and thanks for posting it. :cool:

Nicodemus

FREELANCE ADMINISTRATOR
Staff member
Just curious, how much $ would a fossilized whale bone found in dadgum south GA sell for on the interwebs. Surely, SURELY that thing is worth some money, right?!
Howany thousands of years old do you guys speculate things like that may be?

The bone itself is over 30 million years old. I know of at least one basilosaurus skeleton that has been found in the Flint River down here. As for the celt artifact, hard to say but I`d hazard a guess it`s in the neighborhood 3,000 years old. I wouldn`t attempt to put a monetary value to it.

That absolutely amazes me. Despite the monitary value, that really is a priceless find. I don't know if I could ever sell something like that. Truly a priceless piece of natural history.

That is an amazing find! I would be pretty sure from the shape and use wear that it was used as a splitting wedge.