Whale bone artifact

godogs57

Thought this was pretty neat. I've found a few whale bones, teeth, etc in our creeks down this way and a few in the Flint as well but never one that was used as a tool. Appears to be shaped similarly to a stone celt like we stumble on from time to time. Enjoy

Whale bone 1.jpgWhale bone 2.jpg

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Good that it's fossilized. Otherwise there are possession issues relating to parts of marine mammals. Neat artifact on two levels. I wonder if the marks indicate it was worked into shape when it was actual bone before it mineralized. If so, it would have been brought inland by man. Most likely it wasn't and was worked when it was stone. Gil

walkinboss01

That's pretty cool. Thx for sharing the pictures

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Sometimes it takes a while. Leave it up if you don't mind... It's an interesting piece. "Gil

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
That is an interesting piece. Great find, Hank.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Not much response...guess I’ll delete
Interesting, fer sure, even for those of us not familiar with the art of finding, recognizing, and collecting artifacts.
I vote to leave it on the board.(y)

Killer Kyle

Just curious, how much $ would a fossilized whale bone found in dadgum south GA sell for on the interwebs. Surely, SURELY that thing is worth some money, right?!
Howany thousands of years old do you guys speculate things like that may be?

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Not much response...guess I’ll delete

Heck no....that’s an awesome find in my opinion. Glad I stumbled upon it and thanks for posting it. :cool:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Just curious, how much $ would a fossilized whale bone found in dadgum south GA sell for on the interwebs. Surely, SURELY that thing is worth some money, right?!
Howany thousands of years old do you guys speculate things like that may be?

The bone itself is over 30 million years old. I know of at least one basilosaurus skeleton that has been found in the Flint River down here. As for the celt artifact, hard to say but I`d hazard a guess it`s in the neighborhood 3,000 years old. I wouldn`t attempt to put a monetary value to it.

Killer Kyle

That absolutely amazes me. Despite the monitary value, that really is a priceless find. I don't know if I could ever sell something like that. Truly a priceless piece of natural history.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That is an amazing find! I would be pretty sure from the shape and use wear that it was used as a splitting wedge.