What’s a Good Long Bow?

Clipper

If it was January, I would say come to some TBG shoots and try out several different bows to see what you like. Since bow season is on us and the shoots are over for now I would suggest driving down to Albany to Big Jim's Bow Company and let them set you up with a good starter bow. You should be able to shoot it at his place. His specialty is custom made bows and that's not what you want for a starter bow, but he usually has a good selection of bear bows and used bows of other brands. You might call first. Just Google the name and his site will come up. Others on the forum may be able to steer you to a good long bow at a reasonable price.

Dennis

Big Jim would be where I would go if you needed one soon but as Clipper said if you can wait I would start going to 3-D shoots and checking out different bows there are dozens of different kinds, styles, and grips.
The arrows that you will need can't be decided till you get a bow. But Big Jim could help you with arrows too.

deast1988

I'm fond of Centaur longbows.

BigJim Buffalo, Omega Imperial are solid

gordylew

A well-made bow with properly spined arrows makes learning to shoot easier. I picked up a vintage Bear Grizzly and couldn't hit the barn door with it. If it had been my first recurve I may have never picked up another thinking it was me. Like others said you need to try several to find your fit.

Todd Cook

I'm a longbow guy through and through. Having said that, if I were just starting out I would get a take down recurve of some sort. The extra mass weight and the countoured grip make the learning curve easier I think. And a fairly long one will be easier to learn on than a short bow.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
The best advice I can give you is to go to a shoot and try as many different bows as possible! Then you can decide what fits you best.

Dennis

Or go to Big Jim and he has dozens of bows to try and can get you set up with the correct arrows while your there. Only thing it can be a long way down there

Barebowyer

I think Todd gave good advice. I am a centaur man myself but have a Thunderchild on order

Hillbilly stalker

I asked the same question about a couple months ago. I was advised a Big Rock Black Hunter longbow. I found one used on the web for $135. It shoots way better than I expected. I've shot some upper end LB, this one shoots right up there with a lot of them. They are what I would call a hybrid takedown LB. Good speed, quiet, minimum if any hand shock, dished grip, and hit where I point. Twig archery along with other places sales them. They wont break the bank either if that's a concern.

Al33

I asked the same question about a couple months ago. I was advised a Big Rock Black Hunter longbow. I found one used on the web for $135. It shoots way better than I expected. I've shot some upper end LB, this one shoots right up there with a lot of them. They are what I would call a hybrid takedown LB. Good speed, quiet, minimum if any hand shock, dished grip, and hit where I point. Twig archery along with other places sales them. They wont break the bank either if that's a concern.
After reading your post I did some research on this bow and impressed with what I read and saw. Found a very informative video on You Tube that explains it in detail and it is getting 5 star reviews.