What’s expected by Deer processors

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Wow, thanks again for all the replies guys.......I have studied a bit on it as I debated getting a grinder off eBay a while back. Saw where it grinds easier when very cold too, so I think I’ll ice it like a hog. I already got the vacuum sealer, sooooooo. Hmm
Ok so has anyone tried using oil like olive etc in place of adding fat? I saw where that helps, but I remember eating a burger at camp and my friend said it was straight grind........best burger ever!

NOYDB

BANNED
Hint for future.

The processor may have some deer left at end of season. You may be able to pick up additional venison if available. Doesn't hurt to ask.

JackSprat

Hmm
Ok so has anyone tried using oil like olive etc in place of adding fat?

We do this all the time. My SO has a killer recipe for meat loaf doing this. If you make burgers like this, it help to make the burger, let them chill in the frig. The olive oil will tighten up.

bany

Get a grinder. Or cut all you want in grind able pcs And take it to a processor. Want fancy? FIND a cooler you can let it hang in for a week. I never add anything anymore except maybe wild hog until I cook it.

BeerThirty

Hint for future.

The processor may have some deer left at end of season. You may be able to pick up additional venison if available. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Great tip! If you have "a guy" that your loyal too, they should hook you up. You would be amazed the amount of hunters that drop off deer and never come to pick up the meat and/or can't afford to pay so the processor gets to keep everything. Some of these guys have so much leftover they don't know what to do with it.

tbrown913

I have found unless you really trust your processor, its best to skin and quarter the deer and take it in a cooler so all they have to do is cut it off the bone and grind it. That way you have a better chance of getting your deer, and only your deer, ( usually ) plus that way I know its been kept cool until its processed.

I still can't get over how many people don't field dress their deer, but let the processor do it, after a 2 or 3 hour or longer wait ,,, smdh

Skinning and quartering saves money as well, I'm debating on buying a grinder myself, haven't decided yet.

$50 per deer roughly, $350 for a really nice grinder. 7 deer and its paid for! I did the math 10 years ago and got a grinder for Christmas that year. Well worth it and I know what my deer does from the time I kill it to the time I eat it.

ninjaneer

I've never used a processor. Most always used a gambrel but lately find it just as easy to work them up on tailgate of my truck. Only recently started grinding, using a hand grinder. I vacuum seal and freeze everything, what I plan to grind I leave in chunks.

When I need some ground I take out a few bags of chunks, let them thaw just enough that you have to work to get the chunks apart. Grind away, then put the ground meat back into the same freezer bags and freeze till you use it.

Near froze meat works great through the manual grinder, fully thawed or fresh requires more effort. The results taste fine but texture not as good. Would like a nice quality electric grinder. Read bad things about lesser ones with plastic gears and haven't been able to justify expense of higher quality when the manual one works fine.
LEM had a 20% sale off recently that was tempting though.

triple play

The processor I use does not require a confirmation number. Sounds like most processors still require a #. Wonder why he doesn't if most do?

ucfireman

I thought I read a while a go that the processors do not need the number this year. Puts the responsibility on the hunter instead of the processor. I think they still need your contact info in case DNR wants to check you reported it.