What’s the purpose?

I can think of several. Many of them are bad.

NOYDB

Social Studies with my 2nd grade Grandson, what’s the purpose with this question?
You're grandson's 2nd grade teacher is not qualified to be a teacher.

Oldstick

Don't know what the heck JC did about it, but there definitely WAS segregation when he was growing up. There was still pretty much government-backed segregation with schools up until I was in the 8th grade, around 1970 where I lived in GA.

So maybe it is a trick question. He didn't do much of anything about it when president. Or maybe the the question is about some things they covered in class, like something he did while governor or earlier as a younger man.

Last edited:
What part are you confused by? That African Americans in the 20’s and 30’s weren’t allowed to go to white schools or the Carter worked as a desegregationist while he was in the state senate.

You may not like him but that was what he did. Are you upset that they are learning state history? That sometimes it’s ugly?

NOYDB

SCOTUS ruled that segregation was illegal in 1954. Carter's term was in the late '70s. He did not hold a position to do anything nationally until then.

SCOTUS ruled that segregation was illegal in 1954. Carter's term was in the late '70s. He did not hold a position to do anything nationally until then.
I forgot SCOTUS waved a wand and it happened. Carter was a state senator and governor from 1963-1975. Desegregation was happening across the south the whole time. Y’all may not have liked it but it did happen.

NOYDB

I know it only counted when a Dem was is office.

Oldstick

He was born a long time ago however. I certainly don't see a problem with school lessons pointing out that not all white people are driven by blind racial hatred, not now nor throughout our history. It is a very important part of our heritage that never makes the news nor has it rarely ever.

dwhee87

I forgot SCOTUS waved a wand and it happened. Carter was a state senator and governor from 1963-1975. Desegregation was happening across the south the whole time. Y’all may not have liked it but it did happen.
The question was not whether we liked it or not.
The question says "when he was growing up", not when he was a grown man. Did Jimmy do something in his youth to combat segregation?

Last edited:
The question was not whether we liked it or not.
The question says "when he was growing up", not when he was a grown man. Did Jimmy do something in his youth to combat segregattion?
Is this purposeful or do you really not understand how to read the question?

NOYDB

Is this purposeful or do you really not understand how to read the question?
Not having a "Woke" agenda means we don't "understand" the question.

I don't think the question was related to Carter's youth but the way of life when Carter was young. The schools being segregated was just given as an inequality example.

So the question would be what did Carter do about it, meaning inequality, not school segregation. As mentioned, it would be when he was a senator or governor perhaps.

He did say this at his governor's inauguration;

After easily defeating his Republican opponent, Carter surprised most of his Georgia supporters and attracted national attention during a short, twelve-minute inaugural address when he proclaimed that the time for segregation had ended. "No poor, rural, weak, or black person," he declared, "should ever have to bear the additional burden of being deprived of the opportunity of an education, a job, or simple justice."

Last edited: