What a mixed bag weekend.....

jt002

So with the beautiful weather and no exams this week I decided to hit the water.

Saturday:

Started out beautiful with a nice 14in hooche brown. The day would go on to produce some little bows and even a couple bluegills. Though the most notable was seeing a pig of a bow 20+in sitting in some slack water under a log just lethargic as all can be. After throwing everything in the hopes of enticing him and getting refused I looked at him for bit in admiration and called it a day.

Got back to the Jeep and she wouldn't turn over....... Fuel pump problems. Second time this year.

Sunday:

Seeking some river time to blow off steam about the fact I am facing another couple hundred in repairs I decide to lick my wound on the hooche. Borrowing the fiancée’s corolla I took off to familiar waters.

After getting a few nibbles and no fish I decided to call it a bum day. After seeing some little bows holding on shore under a tree I put on a caterpillar pattern and proceeded to see what I could scare up. A nice tight loop would ensure I missed the branch but a gust of wind would put me in the tree. After attempting to save my fly with no luck I gave up and just broke off.

Getting back to the car and breaking down my gear I noticed I was missed the entire top section of my rod. It seems that when I was breaking off the line caught the top of my rod and just pulled it off. After hours of searching I gave up. Got to call Loomis today and see about getting a replacement section.... oh and wait to hear from the shop about the damage on the Jeep.

When it rains it pours.

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten
JT-
That just ain't right, I didn't know we were kin.:rolleyes:How many piece rod were you fishing?Also, was the river dirty from the storm Thursday night? I fished a farm pond Friday (see Pic in Freshwater Thread titled "Fayette County Yesterday" posted Friday). Sorry about your weekend.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Yep,that sounds like some of my weekends. Sorry about your troubles.

jt002

It was a 4-piece rod. Friday the hooche was semi-blown out but it bounced back fast. I think it started at a turbidity of 80 or more and then got down to 20ish by late that night. By saturday am it was at 11 and then 3 by sunday. There was a lot of people fishermen on Sat/Sun so I am sure the added pressure didn't help me at all.

I am a true believer in the fact that bum days fishing keep me coming back. They make me rethink my fly selection, technique, etc. If everytime I went it was a 30 fish day I would get bored fast.... at least I think.

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten
Agreed. I fished monday evening with my bil at Powers. Caught about 4 in an hour and a half. I knew the fishing gods had smiled on me way too much the last couple of weeks.It's noot the fish we're always after anyway.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Yup,just being out in the water is good. Last two trips to Cochran Schoals have been fishless. But that sure beats sitt'n at work!

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten
JT,
Did you have any luck ordering a tip for your rod?

jt002

Yeah they told me to send it back and the warranty will cover it. Hopefully that is true and if it is then I will be a happy man.