What am I doing wrong?

sowgabuckstalker

I am having a rough season!

Ok, like today, I knew where they are roosted. I set up in what I though was a great set up in small stand of pines about 150 yards from a bottom where they were roosted. Sure enough, 2 were in there gobbling picture perfect this morning. I didnt call at all until I could tell they were on the ground about 7 am, they flew down early. They both answered me a couple of times and I shut up, sounded like they were coming straight to me. They gobbled a few more times, sounded like they couldnt have been more than 50 yards or so but I couldnt see them due to how and dips off into that bottom. They finally went silent and I just knew it was on. I called maybe 3 other times (LIght calling) and they never showed, set there for 2 hours. Never heard any other hens. Ugh, Ive have something similar happen about 4 other times this season. Not to mention I missed TWO BIRDS at 30 feet :( I need some encouragement guys! Thanks for letting me vent and all the help you can offer. FYI this is only my 5th season, I have had good success, just feel like I am better than this.

Types of calling I am doing - light clucks purrs and yelps is about it. Slate and mouth call. Feel like I am decent at running both, not great but decent, they are answering me.

sowgabuckstalker

also - I did have a lone hen decoy, but I dont think they ever got close enough to see over up into the pines where I was set up. But what do I know?

And whats really frustrating is the they seem FIRED UP the most they have been all season.

Hillbilly stalker

Small pines are often the hiding place for coyotes. But that just a guess. The only certainty in turkey hunting is nothing is for certain . All kinds of things can play a role in a hunt. Sometimes we just got to accept it, scratch our head and go on. Instead of worrying about how you didn't kill him today, think about he you can kill him tomorrow . You know where he roost, you know which way he goes when he flies down and you know he's not roosting with hens and you didn't spook him. The leaves are out now, I would get in there tight wth him and throw out a hen decoy. A little tree Yelp, if he answers take your hat and do a fly down and then get on the gun. Nothing else. Make sure you have your decoy where he can see it. If turkey hunting were easy.....there would be a lot less people fishing ! Lol ! Hang in there bud, I got one giving me fits right now too, I just laugh it off, he will slip up. If not, he won't be the first one to lick me. Enjoy the hunt and close encounters. We are not meant to kill every bird we hear and/or see.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
As much as I hate to say it, I'm thinking your decoy looks like Phyllis Diller to them. Nah I'm kidding.

In nature the hen normally goes to the tom. That's why they gobble and strut. Sometimes you can counter this with creating excitement calling. Other times curiosity by not calling. Be in the right spot. Sometimes when you can move without being seen, you can change locations and appear to be feeding and moving away. Most of the time though you are going to wait on his mood. Scratch in the leaves. Get him wound up then go quiet. There are many tactics to being a turkey hunter. Put a paper sack over Phyllis's head. They more than likely had a hen. They don't always talk. Especially hens that are going to leave him at 9:30 or 10 for nest duty. And the tom is going to be lonely looking for you while we type on this forum.

You don't need encouragement, you need to go turkey hunting and think about whats happening out there. Learn about setups and tactics. Killing 2 at once last year spoiled you. lol

FootLongDawg

I have been watching all the episodes of the Pinhoiti Project on YouTube. It's a local Georgia guy who turkey hunts about every day all over the country. He is a national champion caller and a heck of a woodsman. He carries video equipment around with him and shows you all the good and bad that happens to him and whoever might be hunting with him mostly on public land.My point is, the problems you describe happen to him ALL the time. Turkeys just have a way of making you look stupid, no matter your experience level, how well you game plan or whatever. Turkeys are going to give you the slip. It just happens.

DSGB

I have been watching all the episodes of the Pinhoiti Project on YouTube. It's a local Georgia guy who turkey hunts about every day all over the country. He is a national champion caller and a heck of a woodsman. He carries video equipment around with him and shows you all the good and bad that happens to him and whoever might be hunting with him mostly on public land.My point is, the problems you describe happen to him ALL the time. Turkeys just have a way of making you look stupid, no matter your experience level, how well you game plan or whatever. Turkeys are going to give you the slip. It just happens.

Dave (Covehnter) is also a long time member here. His and The Hunting Public are my favorite channels.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Very true Dawg. Calling alone won't kill one. Dave's style is to present himself to as many turkeys as possible. And do the homework. Private land couldn't contain him. Be hard to find anyone that puts as much work as what I see in those videos. He cover's miles and miles a day. He's trying to get in a turkeys head. Very good turkey hunter and style he has. Be hard to find many that will go out in the summer with a decoy and a call to study turkey behavior. He loves it and his accomplishments show the passion.

sowgabuckstalker

Thanks guys, all around, I appreciate. it.

About the Putt/Glove face mask - I have often thought about this before! I do wear both a facemask and gloves. What are you getting it? WHats the main difference and way to make sure I am not Putting!?

PappyHoel

You should have done a fly down cackle I f you knew where they were roosted????? You did everything I would do. They are like my chickens and have no rhyme or reason.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’d say u are doing everything just rt , u say u missed 2 at 30 ft and u are hearing turkeys gobble , so u should of killed 2 already and sounds like u came close to killing another

J3Holt

Hey, it could always be worse. Sounds like you are doing way better than a lot of people. Depending on the area and time I had, I might wait on em to come back. If not I'd try and (like previously mentioned) adjust my setup and let em walk their stubborn butts right by me. Go get em!

FootLongDawg

Dave (Covehnter) is also a long time member here. His and The Hunting Public are my favorite channels.

I kind of figured he might be a member here being from Acworth. I really respect his passion. Living out of his vehicle, up every morning way before hunting light, riding a bike miles in then walking great distances to his set up, willing to show you all his failures, not just the successful hunts. All that and still keeping a job. The guy is quite a hunter.

six

The only things I'd have done different would have been getting closer, ditch the decoy, and once they were that close I'd have went to purring and leaf scratching. After about 20-30 minutes and they were no shows I'd have switched to gobbler talk and leaf scratching, especially if there were two of them. At this stage in the season some gobblers are just as interested in getting back with what's left of the old gang as they are hens. If still not successful I'd be at home planning my next hunt/hunts there. A lot of times about the only way to kill them is on good attendance. Good luck!

Mark K

Banned
Lose the decoy. And set up for the turkey you’re hunting. I say that to say this, most people set up for their decoy. If you know for certain which tree and limb they’re on then slip in tight. If you can see him on the limb, then no calling until he’s on the deck and then a few soft yelps and purrs. If you can’t see him then before you think he’s about to fly down, then a few soft yelps and purrs. If he gobbled and acknowledges you then he has you pegged and will come when “he’s” ready.
Decoys in woods are a no no when I used to use them. I don’t know why but they will spook in a heartbeat. I’ve seen videos where they work, but they never did for me.

As far as the Pinhoti Project and Dave, that kid is the real deal. Had the honor of hunting in a few different states with him. I think he sometimes knows what a turkey will do before the turkey knows.

Last edited:

Hillbilly stalker

Thanks guys, all around, I appreciate. it.

About the Putt/Glove face mask - I have often thought about this before! I do wear both a facemask and gloves. What are you getting it? WHats the main difference and way to make sure I am not Putting!?
They sound a lot a like, if you follow up your cluck with just a small Yelp or 2, it can make a world of difference. Or purr, turkey callers cluck and purr.....turkeys do but very very very seldom in my experience.Try it.

Larry Young Jr

It sounds like you are doing ok. The only thing I would said is to keep hunting him. I would not get real tight on him. The reason I said this is because, a lot of times you move in on him he will see or hear you. My self I like to be about 80 to 100 yards from him be cause if he is not in the same tree you have mess up. If you are 80 or 100 yards you can you can move if you need to or you can make it sound like a group of hens are fling down. Plus you use a gobble call to make him think there is another tom in the area.
Old Ben Lee said, When you think you got him figured out, he will make you fill like a DUMMY.
That is why I turkey hunt.
Good Luck

ShortMagFan

I felt pretty dumb the other morning when for the 3rd time this season i had roosted birds gobbling at a certain spot and i set up at a certain spot only to have them skirt me the same way for the 3rd time. My point is, be where they want to be. I’m an idiot for setting up the same way 3 different times and expecting a different result. If i’d Only slipped around and down into the ravine they like to use to access the field they go to i would have killed a bird any of the 3 times.

hambone76

The location of the setup is paramount. I’ve blown my share of setups due to not being where the Tom wanted to go.
Use the experience you had today to kill him tomorrow. Next time he’s roosted there, you know where to avoid setting up at. Keep at it, it’ll all come together for you. The hard work makes it that much more rewarding.