What are the chances of successful hunting at Ft Stewart

Geezer Ray

Considering that you cannot hunt at night at Ft Stewart and it is so hot, what are the chances of success at Ft Stewart hunting hogs? Those of you who hunt there regular or with a lot of experience, please share. I know the temp makes them even more nocturnal. I don't live near and rv camping for fixed income is tuff.

Last edited:

across the river

It depends on what you mean by worth it. Are you going to show up and be guaranteed to kill a pig, no. If you have never been before, I would actually say your chances of killing one aren't extremely high. With that being said, there are plenty of pigs on the place. The more you go the more familiar you get with the place, and usually that correlates to better success down the road and on subsequent trips. I never travel to go anywhere to hunt public land with A) high expectations for the first trip and B) no plans to make additional trips in the future after I learn something about the place. So if you are asking if I think you are going to show up blind and kill a pig, my answer would be it is not worth it. If you are going just to learn more about the place and plan on making additional trips in the future, then yes, I would say it is worth it.

Geezer Ray

It depends on what you mean by worth it. Are you going to show up and be guaranteed to kill a pig, no. If you have never been before, I would actually say your chances of killing one aren't extremely high. With that being said, there are plenty of pigs on the place. The more you go the more familiar you get with the place, and usually that correlates to better success down the road and on subsequent trips. I never travel to go anywhere to hunt public land with A) high expectations for the first trip and B) no plans to make additional trips in the future after I learn something about the place. So if you are asking if I think you are going to show up blind and kill a pig, my answer would be it is not worth it. If you are going just to learn more about the place and plan on making additional trips in the future, then yes, I would say it is worth it.

I agree and the worth it was a bad choice of words. I really was wondering about success rates in the hot summer time. I was down on May 16 and stayed a week, did not see any hogs but lots of tracks and some fresh rooting. It was great fun to be out and learn the area a little better. I just know that typically when it is hot they seem to be more nocturnal and with Ft Stewarts limits have people still been able to find pigs. I definitely want to come back. Thanks for the reply.

robert carter

I hunt only with a longbow and have killed a lot of pigs at stewart. I have not been since last year but plan on going some this summer. In the last 5 years or so I have not been and hunted all day that I could not have killed a pig with a gun. Went 3 times last year and killed 1 pig and missed another. Saw probly 25 I could have shot with a gun. RC

Curtis

I have never had much luck at FS during the summer. Seems you only have the narrowest of windows of opportunity - right at dark and dawn. That being said, I haven't been there in the heat when we have received this much rain - could be they are bunched up on higher ground. I like what Across the River said - give it a shot and learn about the place under these conditions. Might come in handy in the future. Let us know how you do, if you go. Good luck!

Geezer Ray

I hunt only with a longbow and have killed a lot of pigs at stewart. I have not been since last year but plan on going some this summer. In the last 5 years or so I have not been and hunted all day that I could not have killed a pig with a gun. Went 3 times last year and killed 1 pig and missed another. Saw probly 25 I could have shot with a gun. RC

Dang, I need to go with you, because I am not that skilled I guess. LOL:bounce:

You don't need skill to see pigs at ft Stewart, just persistence. Remember the proverb," if you sit beside the river long enough you will see the bodies of your enemies float by". Time in the woods = opportunity to kill pigs. I just saw your email. Hope you enjoyed your last trip.

BowArrow

I am also new at hog hunting at FS. Did a lot of bow hunting at FS in the 60,70 and 80's for deer and killed a few hogs while deer hunting. Went last summer and saw hogs in the middle of the day and did miss a couple at 25 yds. with a rifle and turned down a sow with pigs. Talked with a group from Maryland in Feb. while camping at FS and they hunted during middle of day and killed several hogs. Put boots on the ground all day and you will see hogs. Saw twelve last week in one of the F areas. It does get hot in the summer but hogs are out and about all day. I am waiting on some dry weather and better road conditions to get in the woods. The roads can get messy at FS with the track vehicles and their wide ruts. I am 80 years old and will be putting as many boots on the ground as I can this summer. I do some camping in the primitive area which is $15.00 per night.

Flanny80

I am new to going hunting as well. Let alone the area, i just moved to pembroke from washington state. I have been here for one week and i have already seen a closeout running across the street. Saw my first alligatir today, too!