What chest waders do y'all recommend?

j_seph

Not looking for these $150 plus waders. Guess I have been in the closet too long as I started looking and seen stocking foot waders where you have to buy shoes extra. Are the breathable and neoprene better than the PVC? Looks like the PVC could cause issues if you were to fall in water filling up where neoprene would not do that. Is a felt or cork bottom worth it to prevent the slipping? I believe all I seen at academy were some kind of plastic rubber bottom.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Are you wanting to trout fish in these waders?

Breathable is the only way to go for waders. Neoprene is for duck hunters, and will sweat you to death if you walk anywhere in them.

I've never seen a pair of boot-foot waders that I would trust to trout fish in. Traction is key. Felt or metal studs, or a combination of both are the best.

Breathable allows you to layer up depending on temps. If it's really cold, base layers and fleece under breathable waders is fine. PVC may not leak, but they don't breath and you'll be wet with sweat on the inside.

In a nutshell, breathable stocking-foot waders with a good pair of wading boots is what I recommend.

j_seph

Yes to trout fish, so does breathable equal dry, keeping water out?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

JonathanG2013

I have breathable Patagonia waders that are light and you can put in a back pack easily if needed.

Some places in Georgia you will be able to not use waders. You will still need it for the Hooch tail water that is 50 degrees year round.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Give me another month and I'm with you.
I wet-waded last week and it was tolerable. Heck, I remember growing up, my waders were a pair of Levis and some old wore out Reeboks. I remember one opening day of trout season, ice kept forming on my line guides but we waded anyway.

j_seph

I usually do the same, however being short and water that tends to get to waist can make detecting a bite difficult sometimes.

GAJoe

I wet-waded last week and it was tolerable. Heck, I remember growing up, my waders were a pair of Levis and some old wore out Reeboks. I remember one opening day of trout season, ice kept forming on my line guides but we waded anyway.
Forty plus years ago my Dad would take me and my brother below Buford Dam in jeans and tennis shoes. He and I didn't know what waders were. Our feet and legs would get numb until it felt like we were walking on stilts not being able to feel the bottom. I seem to remember warming up being somewhat painful.

GAJoe

Anyone have experience with the Compass 360 Deadfall on Amazon? They have good reviews. 86 reviews and 90% scored 4 and 5 stars.

whitetailfreak

I remember getting my first pair of rubber hip waders with lug sole that Id snap to my belt loops to keep up. I wore those for years.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
how do those wet boots do on the hike back to the truck? Or do you bring an extra pair of shoes for the return trip?
I buy wading boots that are like hiking boots, put on a pair of neoprene socks/gravel guards under them, and sometimes will hike miles in and out of the mountains like that.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I remember getting my first pair of rubber hip waders with lug sole that Id snap to my belt loops to keep up. I wore those for years.
Still have a pair of those that I wear in early spring sometimes.

GAJoe

Anyone have experience with the Compass 360 Deadfall on Amazon? They have good reviews. 86 reviews and 90% scored 4 and 5 stars.
Got some Amazon gift cards for a "Bravo" award at work so I knew just what to get. I'm 5'8" 190 lbs and wear a size 10 shoe. The size Large fit perfect. There's room for one size bigger foot.
They did fine on a trip to the Soque as far as mobility and then a deep wade in the lake to test the seams.
They are made in China though.