What chokes?

LKennamer

I seem to remember there's a way to check what choke (fixed, not changeable) your shotgun has. For the life of me I can't remember how. Is there any way to check without a trip to a gunsmith?

LKennamer

Maybe

I guess if I measured the bore exactly I could get the choke size?

Gun Docc

Howdy LKennamer,

of course the best way is to have the bore and choke combination measured with a bore mike to determine the amount of choke it has :D but here is a rough way to check it to see what choke you have

take a dime and drop it into the barrel from the chamber end with the barrel pointing downward

if the dime stops in the barrel anywhere from an 1 1/2 to 4 inches back then it is a full choke

if the dime travels almost to the muzzle or stops within the last 1/4 inch or so then it is a tight modified, if it falls through but is snug then it is a modified choke

if the dime falls completely thru then the choke is probably improved cylinder or cylinder bore

this is just a rough way of checking the choke designation, so don't expect much from the above

Be SURE to remove the dime before firing the gun as it will ruin the barrel

Take Care,
Gun Docc

LKennamer

Thanks Gun Docc!

That's what I was looking for. I knew there was a quick and dirty method, just couldn't remember it. I appreciate it!