What deer call to use??

Bowhunter24

I was wondering what type of deer calls yall like to use in the early season. What do u like to use if u see a buck that u would like to try to get into bow range?? I have used a fawn bleat on does and it works great for them, but was wondering what yall would use on them bucks?

Jody Hawk

Bowhunter,
I like a call that has both a grunt and a bleat. I've called in small bucks bowhunting, which I let walk, from 75 yards out with a bleat and they run straight to the base of my tree. Some of these bucks would pay a grunt no attention. Then again, I have had bucks respond to a grunt that would not respond to a bleat. I think mine is the Knight and Hale Twister.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I have only had results with a fawn bleats on does. Sometimes it will backfire when the doe comes in in such high alert that she is too spooky.

Duff

I like to use a soft doe bleat during bow season. I have called in a few deer this way. One pretty nice eight point that I didn't get a shot at. Seems like they will come in if they are close by, but it is soft enough not to scare them away.

H

HT2

Bowhunter........

Early in the season I don't use anything......

I've tried those "bleats" before and I've just never had any luck with them.......

I usually wait a bit until I think the Bucks are startin' to get a little motivated before I try anything.......

Bowhunter24

Thanks for the advise guys, this is my situation, i went up to the lease this weekend and me and mrbowdeadly sat up on the far side of the peanut field, and seen whats gonna be a really good buck, he already had his spread outside his ears and had some good lenght to his tines and still not done growing, so the next day we went out there in the middle of the day to the corner and set up a stand, its in a perfect tree with tones of cover, my concern was if the buck decided to come out when im in the stand but he comes out further in the field out of bow range what could i do to try to intice him into range?

Duff

Bowhunter,

I may give him a couple of evenings and it it didn't work out try some bleats. What would you have to lose? If it is a large field he may pop out anywhere. No matter what you decide, good luck. Hope you get him :clap:

Duff

Bowbender,

Don't you think he will be off his feeding pattern in a couple of weeks anyway??

Bowhunter24

hey bender, there is no offence taken, thats what i wanna here is imput. I believe the stand is in a good lockation i hope anyway, well between me and jason we thought it was a good spot time will tell, its in a corner of this field to my left is a thick fence line and about 5 yds down there are 2 deer tunnels crossing coming into the field, to my right there is a point of woods mostly thick small pines and briars and on the edge of that thick point that comes into the field it is ate up with rubs from last yr. Thats the point where the buck came out of and when he left he walked back into the woods at that corner, well when we got there the next day there is a trail coming out from that corner, so thats why we felt that would be the spot to put the stand. Any thoughts or imput??

Bowhunter24

I forgot to say also that the landowner told me that 2 yrs ago the field was in peanuts also, and every evening 3 nice bucks would come out from that corner of the field and feed, thats why me and jason went down to watch that side and low and behold big boy comes out, got me excited, I have never taken a good buck with my bow and thats my goal this yr.

Oak Ridge

I always carry a grunt and a bleat can by Primos. One day I was in the stand, completely bored. I picked up my bleat can and went to town on it. I probably let out a good thirty bleats, watching a thicket to my left. I had probably been watching the thicket three or four minutes before I looked to my right. I couldn't believe my eyes! A buck had jumped the fence and was standing in the field looking my way! He looked funny, but I didn't have time to think about it because here he came! I busted him at fifteen yards. He ran right back to where he was standing, then fell over! When I got to him, I figured out why he looked funny... He was a half a ten pointer... five on one side and the other side was broke off about two inches up! If I hadn't of had that bleat can, chances are I never would have seen that buck! Thanks Will Primos!

Bowhunter24

he was out there all by himself, it was the first time i had set up to watch the field. Next time i go up im gonna set up again in a blind and see what happens. I got rid of that noisy mathews bow i had and bought me a new bowtech, its little quiet and 80% letoff so im excited about that. Jason has forced me to bowhunt more this year lol, i got on another lease, we are gonna lease out 250 acres about 50 miles from my turner county lease and make it a bowhunt only lease, so gotta get serious about my bowhunting this year, no more deer jumping noisy bows for me this year. Im definitly am gonna have a range finder on that field with me. We have alot of big deer and big bodied deer on my turner county lease alot of farm land around us, and seeing that big buck got me all excited now.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I used a primos hands free and a rattle bag to pull in agroup of 4 bucks in late september last year. i made some real soft contact grunts and just rolled the bag between my hands a couple of times. the # 4 buck was a 110 class buck . Had them within 20 yds but the big dude never offered me a clear shot. I dod not have a lot of experience with mature deer. I think you might turn him tworads you if he was going to pass by just out of range. i kind of doubt you could move him very far that early.

Latest posts