What did this to these Red Cedar splits?

Ugahunter2013

I cut down a nice eastern red cedar tree about 10 years ago and split alot of the logs in quarters with hopes of using them for box calls and other woodworking peojects. I sealed the edges and stored them in my shop. They are now bone dry, but when looking at them this past weekend i noticed a lot of these small holes. I am in the process of moving and building a new house. I really really hate to waste and throw away this wood, but i dont want to bring any unwanted pests with me. Does anybody have any idea of what this could be? Powder post beetles?

Attachments

• 504EC4BC-E8EB-439D-B944-30E5BD5A2B97.jpeg
    504EC4BC-E8EB-439D-B944-30E5BD5A2B97.jpeg
    483.4 KB · Views: 139

Big7

The Oracle
Far from expert advice. Take it for what it's worth. My Grandmother had three cedar chests dating back to the American Civil War. They were basically of the same construction and I don't know if they were made by the same cabinet maker or not.

One of the three she had those holes just like in your picture. 2 did not.

It's a bug of some kind. Take a wire twist from a bread sack and polk in the holes. If nothing is in there, I'd call it wood with character and go with it.

Anvil Head

Either powder post beetles or a small wood boring vespid (tiny black wasp). Either of these will bore into dry cedar. If the chunks are small enough, put in a plastic bag and fumigate with a vespid killing spray.
Always best to remove the bark from wood you plan to cure out/dry for use. Storing some species of wood outside just invites pest problems. Many of these can be solved by spraying with boric acid solution (roach poison). Keeps most boring pest at bay.

Ugahunter2013

Either powder post beetles or a small wood boring vespid (tiny black wasp). Either of these will bore into dry cedar. If the chunks are small enough, put in a plastic bag and fumigate with a vespid killing spray.
Always best to remove the bark from wood you plan to cure out/dry for use. Storing some species of wood outside just invites pest problems. Many of these can be solved by spraying with boric acid solution (roach poison). Keeps most boring pest at bay.

Will the vespid spray take care of the powder post beetles? Any particular spray I should look for?

The splits are about 2 ft long. I could fit them each of them in a trash bag. I have about a dozen total.

You are right about removing the bark. When I was taking them out of my shop. Mice had made quite a home out of the bark they pulled off.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
They usually eat up the sapwood, but don't often get into the red heartwood. You can yank that sapwood off pretty easy.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
Powder post beetle as suggested.

I spray wood down with tim-bor or Bifen solution when storing. With that kind of infestation, I'd burn it. Getting any solution into the wood can be futile. Although there are products used for that purpose, but generally with "wet" woods. Most borers need a relatively high moisture content.

Last edited:

nkbigdog

I made a big fireplace mantle out of a Red Cedar that had the same thing..I pealed off the bark and their were only small trails on the surface of the cedar..They could not penetrate the wood. I like the character it added to the wood..

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
I made a big fireplace mantle out of a Red Cedar that had the same thing..I pealed off the bark and their were only small trails on the surface of the cedar..They could not penetrate the wood. I like the character it added to the wood..
Our mantle has those marks too.

Redbow

I had to cut down a big cedar tree in my yard a few years back, hated to lose it..I cut the log into sections and split it. Then I saw what I think was the problem. Hundreds of tiny holes all through the tree in places. Some kind of boring pest killed it I guess. Other cedars in the area suffered the same fate as well..