What do yall do?

ucfireman

Im not a trapper or "Varmint" hunter.
Im not judging just curious, What y'all do with the animals. I'm sure y'all skin some and tan the hides and maybe sell some. But what about the other animals? Do y'all taxidermy, use as bait or just toss in the trash?
I am also curious if anyone eats the animals? I have eaten raccoon, wasn't bad. Does anyone eat coyotes, bobcats or any other critters?
Again just wondering, not judging.
Especially curious about eating the coyotes. I think they eat dogs over seas so?

chase870

Possum Sox
No eating of yotes, kill em and let the ditch monster have them. They are bad for Turkeys, therefore, I kill them with extreme prejudice

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I release bobcats and fox , coons go to a neighbor that eats them and another neighbor that trains his dogs , coyotes and opossum just get tossed

Hillbilly stalker

Coons and possums raid nest all night long. They kill more turkey eggs and quail than any coyote will. Most clubs won't let coon hunters hunt, so trapping is about the only thing to keep them in check. Find some older people and they will eat the coon, they taste like bear meat to me. Beats eatin nasty chicken.

ucfireman

I'm just wondering does anyone eat the coyotes or bobcats and such? Seems most folks only eat mammals that are herbivores (deer, rabbit etc) not omnivore or carnivore (exception of bears). Just wondering what it tastes like? I dont hunt. trap varmints so I'm asking if anyone else has?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I'm just wondering does anyone eat the coyotes or bobcats and such? Seems most folks only eat mammals that are herbivores (deer, rabbit etc) not omnivore or carnivore (exception of bears). Just wondering what it tastes like? I dont hunt. trap varmints so I'm asking if anyone else has?

Bobcat tastes similar to veal. White meat, very fine grained, mild, and is really good cooked over hardwood coals.

I`m not saying I won`t eat a coyote, but I`d have to be almighty hungry. As for a fox or otter, no.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
No. I dont eat the rats I catch in the barn either

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I ate bobcat once, and I agree with Nic. The time I ate it, it was overcooked and pretty dry. I would definitely try it again. And I have never eaten a coyote, I have never been that hungry. They smell pretty foul when you skin them.

mr otter

I have eaten coyote jerky and would not wish it on anyone, ol boy I know made some, passed it round the camp fire and didn’t tell anyone what it was. Everyone assumed elk or deer...when it got hydrated in my mouth it took a 6 pack to get the taste out?

Yotedawg

Don't eat any them. The fox and bobcat we usually give away. Sometimes the land owner wants the coyotes we call up. One land owner is actually having a yote we killed on his place mounted. The yotes I throw in a bone yard on my property. I go back after nature has done her thing and harvest the canine teeth out of the skull and lower jawbone. I have a friend that inlays the teeth in the handles of knives he makes.

SemperFi

I ain’t never ate anything I’ve trapped. If I had to though it would be beaver. I know a lot of guys that say it’s better than deer meat. I’ve been meaning to try it, I just always seem to come with an excuse when I’m skinning one. Probably be pretty good as long as you keep it away from the castor. It’s a nice red meat.

ucfireman

I have a friend that inlays the teeth in the handles of knives he makes.[/QUOTE]
Atleast some kind of use.
Thanks everyone. Y'all stay safe with them critters.

SemperFi

Everything I trap gets skint, fleshed, dried, and sold except coyotes. I keep a few pelts for myself to get tanned every year to give to family and friends. Castors and teeth get sold from the beavers. A lot of people ask me for coons every year, so they get skinned and I give them the meat. I use every part of an animal I can legally. If people ask me for parts that I can’t sale legally I’ll give it to them. My main goal is to help the people I’m trapping for, but if I can use the animal I make all the use I can from it.

Beaver, muskrat, raccoon and bobcat are all good to eat if properly cleaned and prepared. Prime hides can be sold (kinda/sort of with some lately). Skulls can be cleaned and sold. Teeth and jawbones have a market.

one hogman

Bobcat tastes similar to veal. White meat, very fine grained, mild, and is really good cooked over hardwood coals.

I`m not saying I won`t eat a coyote, but I`d have to be almighty hungry. As for a fox or otter, no.
I have tried Bobcat a couple of times Also, it is Good meat, especially the back straps...

CritterCatcher

I'm learning how to harvest glands of the animals I catch and sell them along with skulls and fur. Looking at selling some foxes and coyotes to pens this year too. Hey, with fur prices so low, we gotta get creative in how we get some of our investment back. I'd trap if they didn't pay anything (I set out to prove that the last few years), but there are more ways of making money than just the fur, and there's no sense leaving a dollar on the table.

Latest posts