What do you consider a trophy bass?

Trizey

With several members posting great pic's of largemouth bass, something has crossed my mind.

Do you consider a bass that you've caught in a pond the same as one you've caught in a large lake, river or reservoir? This is assuming they weigh the same.

What kind of weight would it take for you to mount a bass out of a pond and what weight before you would mount one out of a river or the like?

Personally I would not mount a bass caught in a pond unless it is over 12lbs. I've caught several in the 7-10lb range out of ponds and have released all of them.

If I caught a 10lb bass in a large lake, river or reservoir there would be a good chance it would be going on the wall.

fredw

Retired Moderator
Trizey

I would never discriminate based upon the part of town my fish came from:D :D

Seriously, my two largest bass 8-2 and 9-3 came from a fifteen acre lake on my deer lease. The fish were caught 1 year and 1 day apart. Both were released alive. I had a replica mount of the 9-3 made.

It's hanging on the wall....hopefully to be replaced with a 10+ (more than likely another replica).

Randy

I think now days it would have to be over 10 lbs before I would have it mounted. 8 is nothing anymore.

Tom Borck

Banned
Randy said:
I think now days it would have to be over 10 lbs before I would have it mounted. 8 is nothing anymore.

8 pound bass caught in the Ogechee River is certainly an accomplishment.

Guess it would depend on where you are fishing and your idea of a trophy. I do not have one fish on the wall, so if I catch one 8 lbs or bigger he is going to the taxidermy.

Caught a few 5 and 6 lbs.

Trizey

Randy said:
I think now days it would have to be over 10 lbs before I would have it mounted.

In any body of water?

Tom Borck said:
8 pound bass caught in the Ogechee River is certainly an accomplishment.

Guess it would depend on where you are fishing and your idea of a trophy.

Exactly. Of course any bass is a trophy but what would it take from a small impoundment and what would it take from a large impoundment.

Oscott

I don't think the body type of water a fish is caught from matters.

I don't mount fish - either eat them or take a picture if they're big then throw -em back.

GADAWGS

My personal best LM was 8.3 caught Feb 4,1992. Caught her in a small farm pond and released alive. Still have plans for a replica. And anything over 8lbs is a trophy in my book, dont care where it was caught

Kdog

In our private pond, we have a 15# min. for adults. Kids can keep one at 7 + then the next must be over 10. my best from Lanier was a 8-14 (mounted), from Burton a 6.4 spot (eaten by my dad) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: , and the pond I have caught 6 between 10 and 13.4 according to my handheld scale (all have been released).

Kdog

Handgunner

Before I would mount one he'd have to go bigger or at least the same size as my personal best so far. Which is close to 13-14lbs, that was released soon after his capture.

No lie. My uncle doesn't allow fish to be "kept" and having no camera, all I got of him are memories... :cry:

Caught him on a white buzzbait... Nothing like a big ol' buckmouth smashing a buzzbait at daylight during a cool spring morning!

GeauxLSU

Heck I've never even caught a FIVE pounder! :cry: :cry: :banginghe
I could care less what body of water it comes out of but I do enjoy small lake pond fishing MUCH more than the noise associated with larger reservoirs.

KEVIN!! Those are some hosses!

Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

HuntinRebel3

12 Pounder

That's what it'll take for me now. I caught my 10 and half pounder in 95 on St. Patty's Day. It'll have to be 12 over over for me to mount another one! :cool: :banana: :banana:

Lightninrod

Well, I mentioned I'd caught an 8 lb even Bass back in the '70s in my PB post and I had it mounted. What a horrible mount it is. Not knowing any better and with no internet to seek out info, I took it to Plueger's shop somewhere near Miami. I got back a 'grouper-looking' "Bass" :shoot: .

I think the reason for the question put the way it is is because removing a lunker Bass from a small body of water is much, much more damaging to the future of the small body of water than it would be to a reservoir or a river......right? :huh:

Having said all that, I've promised myself(and publicly) that I will not kill a lunker(10 lbs and up) Bass. I will take several pics and 'tape' her and then put her back. Of course, I only fish in small waters. Others may catch her again and I know because I have caught the same Bass three times in a small pond before.

Dan

Arrow3

I have caught several over 8lbs...I have two 8lber's mounted along with a 10lber....If I caught another over 10 I would have it mounted...Anything less just gets put back...I have released several fish in the 7-8lb range over the last few years including a fat 7lber I caught at Clarke Hill, my personal best on a big lake... :fine: :D

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
When My Oldest Son Was About 9 He Caught A 6 Lber And Had It Mounted. Now That He's Grown He Wouldn't Mount It But At The Time He Was One Proud Boy.