What do you do to save the beard and spurs?

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
So here's the question. I have never killed a turkey but plan on it this year (I hope). I want to save the spurs and beard. So whats the options? Thanks ahead of time.

Ben Athens

Take a knife and cut around the base of the beard. Then put it in a cup with Twenty Mule Team Borax. Cut the fan off the bird at the base of it . Spread it out on a peice of card board. Pin it in place with straight pins . Cover the base of it in the Borax. Saw the leg bones above and below each spur . Push out the inside goop out . Put them in the cup with the beard and cover. You can take the red scales off . I like the bone showing best. Let it all sit for 3 or 4 months. I uasually make a holder for mine but you can buy them .

Last edited:

Carp

Check this out.

Attachments

• spurs1.jpg
    spurs1.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,426
  • spurboard.jpg
    spurboard.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,518

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
After I miss the bird or let him walk by unscathed they usually do a prety good job of keeping it:D

Jim

bull0ne

Banned
Jim Thompson said:
After I miss the bird or let him walk by unscathed they usually do a prety good job of keeping it:D

Jim
My lack of patience has helped some birds to save theirs also, but round two is bout to begin :cool:

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks that is just what I was looking for.

Jim I did the same thing last year. I could have shot one last year but I let him walk because big daddy was in some thick stuff behind him. I had big daddy coming until a hen decided she wanted him more and by that time the other one was gone.

Al White

tip for getting your beard out

Mr. Jack Scott showed me the best way to get a turkey beard out. When you cut a beard out with a knife, you leave alot of skin around the top, which will eventually rot. Take your index finger and thumb, grip the beard TIGHT right where it goes into the turkey, give it a quick firm snatch, it will come out perfectly. I know this sounds crazy and you probably will be scared to do it, but it works. Then set it in a cup of 20 mule team borax for about 3 weeks to dry out the top of the beard.

bubbafowler

I take my beards and cut them off like everyone else said, then wrap them in a paper towel with salt. after it dries i take it and hot glue it inside the shotgun shell. i have already pre-drilled holes in the shell so i can thread some string through it. I take the spurs and cut them off where all you have is the piece of leg where the spur is attached, and of course the spur. then push all the stuff out of the inside and "soak" it in salt too. then run one of the spurs on each side of the shell, sorta like a necklace. Now i stop here and hang that on a hook cuase i already have enough fans on the wall, but if you want to put the fan on the wall i cut it off , CLOSE it, stick a nail in the meat on each side, wrap it with salt, and cure it. when it dries, take a peice of string and tie it to the nail in the back, which is now stuck in the dried meat, and hang the fan from the wall. take 3 sewing pins and spread the fan out, stick one pin in the top, and one on each side. the pins are not visible if you use black tipped ones. now use the nail embedded in the front peice of dried met to hang the string that has the beards and spurs on it. Saves you from having to buy a mounting kit, and it actually looks good. It is cheap and easy to do this, and my has been hanging for about 10 years and it still is in great shape. Just make sure you let it cure long enough.

LongSpur

Snatch it out!

Al White, got it right. If you ever pull a beard out you wont cut another one. I have never lost one strand of beard doing this. I have a necklace of my best spurs.

LongSpur

Ga-Spur

I jerk the beard off and throw it on the dash of the truck until the season is over. I don't save them . Usually someone wants the spurs to go on their hat. Saw the leg above and below the spur and the bone is hollow which is ideal for stringing onto whatever you want to string it on.