What do you prefer??

grady white

The Chippewa snake boots when it`s warm, the LL Bean boots when it`s cold. I take no scent precautions other than wind direction.View attachment 936778
Nic ...I have been looking at those Chippewas ... a lot of timber guys swear by them ... and most of those guys have a lot of mileage in the woods. Do you prefer them over other snake boots ? time for me to get a new pair .

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I wear muck or lacrosse boots. They keep my feet dry
That is a legitimate use for rubber boots. If you are hunting where it's wet, they are useful. They will not keep deer from smelling you, though, any more than any other boots.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nic ...I have been looking at those Chippewas ... a lot of timber guys swear by them ... and most of those guys have a lot of mileage in the woods. Do you prefer them over other snake boots ? time for me to get a new pair .

Yes, I do. I trust them with my life. Where I hunt we have them all, and there`s a couple of places where I`m a long way from help. Plus, this boot can be resoled, and if you take care of them they`ll last a long time. I`ve never had a pair fail me. Not even against one of these.262002_165083270225622_4945571_n (1).jpgbadgirl.jpg

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I can`t find em in the stores around here any more so here`s where I got this particular pair last year. And here`s the results of of their test when this one came through the front yard. She was five feet long. The first hit was a dry bite. Second bite, she meant business. Neither bite came close to penetrating. These boots are tough.

https://www.sheplers.com/chippewa-i.../050F54.html?dwvar_050F54_color=7049#start=13

test4.jpgtest5.jpgtest6.jpg

uturn

SMOKE...from leaves, brush and timber indigenous to the area you are hunting is the ultimate cover scent! Try it and you will see!!!

That being said you should still do your best to control your human scent as you cannot ever completely eliminate it!

Then...I say wear the boots best suited for the environment you are hunting!

Good luck!

transfixer

All I know is I saw just as many deer , killed just as many deer if not more in my teens and 20's , when I was wearing blue jeans, flannel shirt, hiking boots, sometimes even tennis shoes, wore the same clothes all day long around camp, out to the store, back in the woods in the evening, We have all fallen for the sales gimmicks of the hunting goods manufacturers,

Its all about the wind,

baddave

All I know is I saw just as many deer , killed just as many deer if not more in my teens and 20's , when I was wearing blue jeans, flannel shirt, hiking boots, sometimes even tennis shoes, wore the same clothes all day long around camp, out to the store, back in the woods in the evening, We have all fallen for the sales gimmicks of the hunting goods manufacturers,

Its all about the wind,
all i can say is you must be gifted w/ a chemistry that doesn't alarm animals .. i don't .. i have to go to extremes to eliminate scent .. if i had discovered the ol firesmoke trick 40 yrs ago, i 'm sure i would have 3 times the trophys on my wall

transfixer

all i can say is you must be gifted w/ a chemistry that doesn't alarm animals .. i don't .. i have to go to extremes to eliminate scent .. if i had discovered the ol firesmoke trick 40 yrs ago, i 'm sure i would have 3 times the trophys on my wall

No , not hardly, I've been busted numerous times, but my point is if you pay attention to the wind, or have your stand high enough, scent is less of a problem, of course we've always stood around the campfire in our hunting clothes, and back in my younger days we always had a fire going in the mornings before we went in the woods, back then we'd be up two hours before daylight,

Ground hunting obviously the wind becomes a major factor, I've hunted with guys who kept their hunting clothes in huge plastic bags, and didn't put them on till right before they went in the woods, and I've hunted with old timers who wore the same clothes over a 3 day weekend, one didn't kill any more deer than the other.

delacroix

BANNED
Rubber boots smell. I have had LaCrosse boots that smelled of release agent for a year, no matter how much I washed them. They are supposed to not absorb scents rather than actually be scent free.

If you mix activated carbon powder in your scent killer spray, it will be much more effective at controlling non-human odors on your boots. You will have a hard time getting it to spray. It will blacken whatever you spray it on.

treemanjohn

Banned
Rubber boots smell just like rubber.

Go out in the yard and grab a few twigs and leaves. Green or dry it doesn't matter. Smell them first and then break them in half or Mash a leaf and smell them again. There's a significant difference and that's what you're up against when you walk through the woods. Animals make a living by Staying Alive nothing gets past them.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
People killed over 350,000 deer in Georgia last year. That's nearly half a million. In one state. They are not supernatural creatures with a superior intellect. These are the same animals that walk out in front of your truck on the interstate.

Gbr5pb

I huht high and as scent free as possible! As was proved again today blowing leaves cleaning up storm damage the wind around here blows one way a little while then the other! Did notice lots of acorns on downed limbs though

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
I can`t find em in the stores around here any more so here`s where I got this particular pair last year. And here`s the results of of their test when this one came through the front yard. She was five feet long. The first hit was a dry bite. Second bite, she meant business. Neither bite came close to penetrating. These boots are tough.

https://www.sheplers.com/chippewa-i.../050F54.html?dwvar_050F54_color=7049#start=13

View attachment 936929View attachment 936930View attachment 936931
Do those boots keep your feet dry crossing water? Most everywhere I hunt, I have to cross some water. Also, are the boots a pain to get on and off?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Do those boots keep your feet dry crossing water? Most everywhere I hunt, I have to cross some water. Also, are the boots a pain to get on and off?

They`re easy to get on, and I use a boot jack to get em off. Theyre waterproof for a couple of years, but wet feet in warm to moderate weather doesn`t bother me. I just want them to keep vipers from ventilating me. They do that very well. :)

grady white

Thanks for the info on the Chippewa boots ....I have been looking at them online at snakeboots.com they seem to have a large collection and like you they are not that common is stores around here ...we used to have an old country store up here 20 years ago that stocked every Chippewa boot made but they are no longer open. Gonna order a pair tonight . I don't think I'm gonna test them on purpose though ...with my luck it would strike me above the knee cap on the inside of the leg in a main artery.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

buckpasser

True, wind direction is key for any given hunt, but repeated trips in and out of a stand location all season long can change the pattern of deer more or less depending on your process. That’s where I try my best to leave as little scent as necessary (non-new rubber boots). I also don’t think it’s a great idea for guests to spit dip all up and down my walking trails. If they do, that factors into their eligibility to come back.

tree cutter 08

Funny you mentioned spitting while dipping. Back when I use to dip 2 cans a day i would have one in my mouth while in the woods but I would spit in a bottle while in a tree. I forgot my bottle one evening during bow season. I was hunting a trail that crossed a decent sized creek. I was hunting out of a tree leaning over the creek and was just spitting into the creek. About a hour before dark 4 2.5 and 3.5 year old bucks came down the trail. They came to the creek and stopped and started smelling. I figured I was busted but theystarted licking some of the lower limbs that my spit hit on the way down. They hung around until dark smelling around trying to find more of the good stuff.

Last edited:

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
I spray different types of deer pee (depending on time ) on my boots and on ATV tires and walk to my stands which are all at least 16 feet high and don't seem to have any problem with scent. During the rutt I spray doe in estrus on my boots and then walk to my stand and have watched many bucks follow my trail right to the bottom of my ladder to their own demise.