What do you think of Trout Unlimited?

zekekb

They are a conservation organization, but do they go too far? I support conservation, but I don’t want to join an organization that is close minded like PETA or WWF. What are you guys opinions

They are a conservation organization, but do they go too far? I support conservation, but I don’t want to join an organization that is close minded like PETA or WWF. What are you guys opinions

I'm a past member but just because I let my membership lapse last year and keep forgetting to renew it. They do a lot of good. They focus on wild trout though and that does not sometimes include a lot of tailrace fisheries we have now. However I think they are broadening their reach.

Not seen where I thought they went to far. They and the FFF are wonderful organizations who do a lot for fishermen.

fishnpreacher

I too was a member and let my membership lapse. Local TU chapters do a lot of good: stream repairs, sponsor kids for Trout Camp, and generally keep pretty busy. Granted there are some "Holier than thou" types in TU, but you'll find them anywhere.
TU national is involved in a lot of different battles. From stream access to stopping mining operations, from Back the Brookie to having obsolete dams removed from rivers to allow spawning runs, TU national has continued to be on the forefront of water rights and conservation.
The same could be said of the NRA and its efforts to protect our gun rights, and I'll bet there are some members who think too highly of themselves, too.

All in all, TU, whether local or national does good work. If you consider a focused effort to be close minded, then I guess they are. But I have supported them in the past and probably will in the future.