What do you tie with grizzly hackle?

Concrete Pete

Title is self explanatory. I came into a nice grizzly saddle. Size 16-18. Looking for inspiration and wondering what you guys would tie. I’ve got some ideas, but I don’t want to waste the hackle.

F.A.R.R.

Be great for palmering your elk hair Caddis and stimulators- they do well under sized a little so it would work well for your 16’s and 14’s.

Personally I’d also use it for hackle on any dry fly that was either a 16 or 18. Not sure if fish key in on the color of hackle at all. Seems they key in more on body size, how the fly sits in (on) the water and maybe the color of the body. That really rings true for ruff and tumble freestone streams the Southern Appalachins

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Probably 3/4 or more of the dry fly patterns I tie use grizzly hackle, or a mixture of grizzly and brown. Lots of nymphs and streamers, too. If I could only have one color of hackle, it would be grizzly (or dominecker as we call it up here.) It's just naturally buggy. Most traditional southern Appalachian trout flies use grizzly or grizzly/brown mixed hackle.

Examples of some patterns I use grizzly on: Adams, Female Adams, Yellow Palmer, Orange Palmer, Charlie Whopper, Elkhair Caddis, Stimulator, Adams Variant, Hippie Stomper, Jack Cabe Hopper, Fore and Aft, Hazel Creek, and many more.

Concrete Pete

Probably 3/4 or more of the dry fly patterns I tie use grizzly hackle, or a mixture of grizzly and brown. Lots of nymphs and streamers, too. If I could only have one color of hackle, it would be grizzly (or dominecker as we call it up here.) It's just naturally buggy. Most traditional southern Appalachian trout flies use grizzly or grizzly/brown mixed hackle.

Examples of some patterns I use grizzly on: Adams, Female Adams, Yellow Palmer, Orange Palmer, Charlie Whopper, Elkhair Caddis, Stimulator, Adams Variant, Hippie Stomper, Jack Cabe Hopper, Fore and Aft, Hazel Creek, and many more.
Thanks. It’s a nice saddle so I don’t want to waste it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The great thing about those saddles is that you can often hackle several flies from one feather.

Concrete Pete

Started with a front end loader caddis. Lot of fun. The hackle stack technique is awesome.

The natives liked it as well (fly is pink spot near dorsal fin).

Attachments

• IMG_6515.jpeg
    IMG_6515.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6519.jpeg
    IMG_6519.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited: