What ever happened to acid rain?

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Some interesting data here on acid deposition. Overall trend is down (pH is rising slightly). Plants and animals are more sensitive to it at higher elevations, and it has more to do with geology/soil chemistry once on the ground than not.

http://nadp.slh.wisc.edu/NTN/annualmapsByYear.aspx#2017

Look at the pH map for 2017, then look at it for 2000. Huge improvement.

sinclair1

Based on what you have posted, and only you have posted the items, you have been easily impressed by status items that I wouldn't even notice. I am glad you have been pleased with the results of what you've experienced. Hope it continues for you. Continue being impressed by spending money for things that don't make a difference. Keep impressing people who don't know any better.

Sorry the nerd shoved you in a locker during third period in front of the cheerleaders. Scared you for life. The scars are
Now if I can find a handy chart for acid rain, we'll put this thread to bed.
do you have a chart showing status items? I didn't know a home grown mater and steak was for the joneses.
Also could we change the slogan that I stayed at a Holliday inn express to show how smart I am, to I rolled over that area in a 18 wheeler back in 71.:bounce:

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
No, but did find this interesting study....Seems if we bring back more pirates, we may be able to reverse global warming.

Piratesw500.jpg

sinclair1

It's all coming together now. The PH must be the reason you can see the fish better standing on a Cooler while sight fishing. I had thought it was light refraction, but I didn't roll over it in a 18 wheeler.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
You have no clue. I'm done with this, because you are over and above the rest of the earth and are beyond reason. If you can't see the dead trees and dead creeks on top of the mountains, and you can't see that a good battery lasts 5x longer than a dollar store one, then you are outside of reality. Have a good day, sir.

It's not just in the Southern Appalachians. The effects of acid rain in Europe are also devastating at the higher altitudes. One doesn't have to tickle Mr. Google much before finding images of acres after acres of dead trees in the higher elevations of Poland.

"Some countries were emitting only small quantities of pollutants yet deposition was observed to be several times greater, for example in Norway, Sweden, Austria and Switzerland. Other countries such as Bulgaria, Italy, the Czech Republic and the UK emit more pollution than is deposited in their country because of prevailing wind directions."

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It's not just in the Southern Appalachians. The effects of acid rain in Europe are also devastating at the higher altitudes. One doesn't have to tickle Mr. Google much before finding images of acres after acres of dead trees in the higher elevations of Poland.

"Some countries were emitting only small quantities of pollutants yet deposition was observed to be several times greater, for example in Norway, Sweden, Austria and Switzerland. Other countries such as Bulgaria, Italy, the Czech Republic and the UK emit more pollution than is deposited in their country because of prevailing wind directions."
Oh, I'm sure it's a worldwide problem. Here is just where I personally see the effects of it. And there is a big, big difference in effects the further up you go.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Precipitation is more common in higher elevations.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Precipitation is more common in higher elevations.
Yes, there is a big difference between the valleys and mountaintops here. As much as 30"-40" a year difference.

Duff

Oh, I'm sure it's a worldwide problem. Here is just where I personally see the effects of it. And there is a big, big difference in effects the further up you go.

You are wrong. It’s the battery acid from them cheap ray o vacs y’all be buying up there.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Yes, there is a big difference between the valleys and mountaintops here. As much as 30"-40" a year difference.

"In southwestern North Carolina, where moist southerly winds are forced upward in passing over the mountain barrier, the annual average is more than 90 inches. This region is the rainiest in the eastern United States."

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
"East of the Mountains, average annual rainfall ranges mostly between 40 and 55 inches."

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

Old school coal fired furnaces of Easter Europe contributed heavily to the problem there.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Math don't lie.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
It's all coming together now. The PH must be the reason you can see the fish better standing on a Cooler while sight fishing. I had thought it was light refraction, but I didn't roll over it in a 18 wheeler.

How much experience at fishing did he say he had? In particular, flats and sight fishing?

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
fish10.JPG

NOYDB

BANNED
I got interested in competitive fishing when invited to bass fishing tournaments by friends at work. In my standard OCD way I purchased a boat and multiple tackle boxes and at one point had more than 2 dozen rods and reels. I Fished the Mississippi drainage including the river itself from TN including AR, AL, KY, MS and FL Mostly I concentrated on bass but was happy to switch to crappie when appropriate. I also participated in Sauger tournaments and caught Catfish. In the past when younger I caught trout and smelt on the west coast. I have fished in the Indian Ocean off the coast of Malaysia. Off piers and beaches in both the Pacific and Atlantic ocean. Used to go from Orlando to the coasts and fished both. The Gulf and the Atlantic.

When I fished on the Mississippi the swells on the river where at least 6 foot high. If you didn't respect the river you could drown if you fooled around. So true, it has NEVER occured to me to stand on a cooler while fishing.