What handgun will you use this year?

FrChs28

If ole Colt ever decides to make them again.....I'll sure try to scratch together the funds to buy one. Wished I'd done so several years ago.

That's a great looking shed. Maybe you can run up on him next season. (y)
Here's the owner of the shed in January

Attachments

• WGI_0016.JPG
    WGI_0016.JPG
    457.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Reactions: Dub

BeefMaster

When specifically pistol hunting, Smith and Wesson 629-5 with (as soon as they show up) Bowen target sights. A S&W 329pd in a Diamond D chest rig on all other occasions. I am planning on running 240 grain Speer deepcurl bullets over Hodgdon Universal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dub
Heading down to the DNR range at Big Hammock to sling lead now! I bought the 10mm to shoot action pistol matches with the idea I could hunt with it as well. Last season I only carried the 44. Deciding factor was if I really need to break a clay pigeon at 40 yards I can do it with the blackhawk. I'm not so consistent with the 1911 yet. I got the quides choice holster from Diamond D in Alaska last year. Very friendly folks. I recomend them. I'm going to order a holster for the 1911 from them as well. Resized_20190618_062138.jpeg

Dub

Heading down to the DNR range at Big Hammock to sling lead now! I bought the 10mm to shoot action pistol matches with the idea I could hunt with it as well. Last season I only carried the 44. Deciding factor was if I really need to break a clay pigeon at 40 yards I can do it with the blackhawk. I'm not so consistent with the 1911 yet. I got the quides choice holster from Diamond D in Alaska last year. Very friendly folks. I recomend them. I'm going to order a holster for the 1911 from them as well. View attachment 973263

You've got some sweet gear right there.

I've always enjoyed the 44mag and it took a while to find a leather chest rig that was comfortable. I see you've done just that.

Are you going to be handloading for that sweet 10mm 1911, too ?

Interested to see how things go for you with the deer thumpers. Fun guns, both of them.

I've avoided buying a 10mm 1911 for the longest. Ammo cost was prohibitive. I had a G20 years ago and it hurt my wallet to shoot it.....and hurt my range fun not to. I let it go when the local shops stopped carrying ammo....I didn't know about all online sources back then.

Now that I'm getting set up for reloading.....I may pick up a set of 10mm dies in the future.

I'm a huge fan of the 44mag and always will be. Growing up reading about Elmer Keith's work with it.....and watching Dirty Harry movies....fun stuff.

Last edited:
I'm loading two different bullets in 10mm. I have Berry's plated 180 fmj and Missouri Bullet 180 LSWC. Both over a WLP primer and 6gn of W231. The LSWC cost about half as much and shoots just as well once I got the OAL right, so that's all I'm buying now. If I ever get proficient enough to hunt with it I'm going to load Longshot and 180 XTP'S. Resized_20190618_072651.jpeg

Last edited:

Dub

Reloading is great! 10mm cost me about the same as 9mm. Never bought a box of loaded ammo for the 10 aside from what came with the gun.

I’d love to approach it that same way with another future 10mm.....never buying factory ammo...just working up a good hunting load and some good target stuff, too. I’m a ways off from having the funds budgeted for it....other gun gear ahead of it.

Fun future project, though.

LTE

Ruger Blackhawk chambered for .45 Colt. Iron sights. Been wanting to do this for a long time.