What handgun will you use this year?

GLlpQKI.jpg

My Smith will see some action, 240gr. A-Frames

Bob, I sure would like to hear more about your load with the Aframes, how the bullet performed, how far he traveled after the shot. Thanks.

I follow the Hodgon manual for .44 mag.
24gr H110, magnum primers and a heavy crimp, I use Starline brass.
The 629 is dialed in at 100 yards, XTP’s and the A-Frames shoot very well at that range.
I’ve seen very impressive results in accuracy and penetration. Everything I’ve shot expired within eye site and have blown right thru.
They open up nicely, here is a heart shot from last year, 50 yard shot on a doe.
3RN1BIu.jpg

Seminole Wind

I follow the Hodgon manual for .44 mag.
24gr H110, magnum primers and a heavy crimp, I use Starline brass.
The 629 is dialed in at 100 yards, XTP’s and the A-Frames shoot very well at that range.
I’ve seen very impressive results in accuracy and penetration. Everything I’ve shot expired within eye site and have blown right thru.
They open up nicely, here is a heart shot from last year, 50 yard shot on a doe.
3RN1BIu.jpg
My load exactly. Thanks for the info. I have great confidence in this load now.

Reactions: Dub

pacecars

Went a little nuts so I am having to change up the plans slightly. Sent the .480 for some custom work so not sure when it will be back. Went nuts and bought a Ruger Single Six .327 Fed Mag that with the 130gr hard cast Buffalo Bore ammo should do fine on deer within 50 yards and also picked up a 6 inch S&W Model 57 .41 Mag which is a cartridge I have shot many a deer with but have neglected for the 10mm (which I still plan on using the Kimber Guard 10mm to take a deer

pacecars

Single Seven with 5 1/2” barrel in .327 Federal Magnum, Single Six with 5 1/2” barrel in .22 LR and an 8 shot cylinder from Al Story, and for giggles a S&W Model 57 Classic with 6” barrel in .41 Remington Magnum. The .22 has one of Fermin’s front sight and I love it. I am going to get one for the .327 Mag. I am sending the .22 off to have the grips thinned as they are way to fat even for my large hands. I will use all three for small, medium and large game.

37416ACF-664B-402E-9E4F-0744724F37C5.jpg

Stroker

Colt Anaconda Realtree model, 44 mag, 2X7 Redfield, 240 XTP hand loads or a S&W 686, 2X Nikon, Sierra 140 grain JHC over a healthy dose of Blue Dot.

pacecars

Nice choices. Wished I would have bought an Anaconda when they were $500

ryanh487

Picked up a 629-6 with an 8 3/8" barrel that I think I'm going to try and take my first handgun deer with this year, assuming i get in enough range time to be confident and competent with it.

transfixer

What do you think of the Uberti Cattleman. Thought about possible getting one.

I have a Pietta 1873 45lc , same gun, they handle well, and fun to shoot, I haven't shot anything with it yet,, I carry it whenever I'm in the woods, using hard cast 255gr swc, loaded as stiff as you can for those guns, they can't handle the same loads a Ruger can, but still sufficient to put a deer or hog down within short distances, say bow range.

Dub

Colt Anaconda .44 Mag. 240Gr HP

As enthused as I am about Colt's 1911 pistols.....I believe I'm currently more excited about them returning to produce the Cobra & King Cobra. Granted.....they aren't quite garnering the same appeal to older gun collectors as the originals.....they are certainly a step in a great direction in my opinion.

I'm hoping that both Colt & Dan Wesson will soon be making a hunting revolver in .44 Rem Mag.

You have a really neat gun with your Anaconda. :rockon:

FrChs28

Thanks, she is purdy. BTW found that shed the other day...

Attachments

• 78784070-EC4E-4BD9-8FEB-49F7959B11CA.jpeg
    78784070-EC4E-4BD9-8FEB-49F7959B11CA.jpeg
    319.8 KB · Views: 34

Dub

Thanks, she is purdy. BTW found that shed the other day...

If ole Colt ever decides to make them again.....I'll sure try to scratch together the funds to buy one. Wished I'd done so several years ago.

That's a great looking shed. Maybe you can run up on him next season. (y)

FrChs28

If ole Colt ever decides to make them again.....I'll sure try to scratch together the funds to buy one. Wished I'd done so several years ago.

That's a great looking shed. Maybe you can run up on him next season. (y)
I paid $475.00 new in 1995. My buddy bought the Colt Python in .357 Mag. I wanted more punch for deer hunting. Turned out he got more bang for his buck :) Those babies go for a small fortune now. Anacondas aren't cheap now either but Python prices are crazy. I read an article on why colt will never make another Python. Reason is, even if they did. It would just be in name. Todays machining would not duplicate the original Python. As far as that shed, yes I'm hoping to see him this year. He's in a bow only area, so he won't fall to a colt !