What have you taken?

Southbow

Deer, hogs, carp, gar, squirrels, possum, armadillas, probably forgetting a few critters. Can't wait to get back on the hogs this weekend.

chris

You mean we can actually POST what we've taken with traditional gear here and not get flamed?? or called game hogs, or get banned?? I'm thinking I like this place.

Hey Carter!

can't wait til next month. Want me to grab your regular campin spot for ya?

Hunt Hard,

Lance

robert carter

Lance, I went up in the boat on Thursday setting hooks for flatheads .Made a couple short scouting loops and it looks good.RC

I couldn't imagine taking a bore or a bear with a bow the pucker factor has to be pretty high, pulling tighty whitey's out fer a week.:hair:

JSOG

The only bear I took died FAST... Most hogs are good too.
ONE was a mold breaker tho.
cut two dogs, n had four arrows thru lungs n heart before he quit.

the tuffest award still goes to squirrels in my book.
(Now mindja.. MY book is a small one. burried under a flat rock!):bounce:
johnbear.jpg

Last edited:

Southbow

Hey John,
I wanna hunt me a bear one of these days. I'd love to spend some time chasing them on Cohutta Wilderness, but I just can't get over that bringing them out whole rule. What the (%*# are they thinking?

Do bears have small lungs like hogs?

chris

Chris,

Johns in Tejas chasin piggies right now. But yea they're shoved forawrd pretty good like hogs.. but normally just a shade bigger pound for pound.

Alot of the guys up here and quartering up and packing out bigger bears.... I guess as long as they're puttin more than 75#s on the scales there's not alot DNR can complain about to em.

markland

John, great to hear from you again! I always thought the same about bringing them out whole, but I have talked with DNR and the game wardens up there and that is not the case, but they may require you to take them back into where you shot the bear and show them the carcass or gut pile. They have such a problem with baiting and poaching bears up there. Personally for me, mine was no problem. I brought mine out, skinned him and quartered him up. Signed in on the check sheet and brought him home. I got in touch with the DNR office and arranged a time to meet a ranger near my hometown and he checked the hide and gave me the tag for it, no problem. Just be sure to remove as much meat as possible and leave evidence of sex attached to the quarter as well. Mark

Southbow

Well that sounds much better. I don't drag anything anymore. Every deer or hog I shoot gets quartered where they drop. I may have to attend the TBG Cohutta hunt next year. Used to do some backpacking up there and have always wanted to hunt it.

thanks,
chris