What hunt doesn't interest you at all?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I won t hunt anything I'm not going to eat. Which leaves out just about all predators....
Dog family. Cat family. Bears. Gators.

Bear meat is delicious, one of the best wild meats out there. It's better than deer meat, and I love deer meat. Gator is also good. I ate bobcat once, and it wasn't bad at all. I think it would have been even better if the feller hadn't have overcooked it.

308-MIKE

Bear meat is delicious, one of the best wild meats out there. It's better than deer meat, and I love deer meat. Gator is also good. I ate bobcat once, and it wasn't bad at all. I think it would have been even better if the feller hadn't have overcooked it.

It may sound weird, but I've always felt a "kinship" with predators in the wild. Just not into eating a brethren. Whenever my wife a nd I are watching animal shows, I tell her always root for the predator.
That being said, that's just my personal preference. I have and will always defend a hunters right to hunt whatever they want ( legally, of course).

steve woodall

That ghost hunting on tv doesn't do anything for me.

drb2k

I'd hunt about anything that's local to the area I was in at the time.
Not interested in traveling to another continent to do it though. I don't understand the interest in shooting exotic game in Texas. If I wanted a Kudu, I'd prefer to do it in their native back yard.

ben300win

Africa because I'm not loaded. Mtn goat neither. Not a bird hunter either. Everything else better look out. Lol

MCBUCK

I think I would hunt most anything given the resources. I did participate in a coon hunt once though, and I must confess that I did not enjoy watching the fight after the coon was "knocked" out of the tree. The coon is wounded and fighting for his life. I know there are those that enjoy it, but this is not for me at all. I would rather see a clean kill on the coon. I found the sport quite brutal.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Black panthers.

Last edited:

Old Winchesters

Cougar
Africa
High fence

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It may sound weird, but I've always felt a "kinship" with predators in the wild. Just not into eating a brethren. Whenever my wife a nd I are watching animal shows, I tell her always root for the predator.
That being said, that's just my personal preference. I have and will always defend a hunters right to hunt whatever they want ( legally, of course).

I can understand that, I am much the same to an extent.

The Cherokee believed that bears were descended from a Cherokee clan that "went wild." They believed that they still could talk and had council meetings and were close kin to the Cherokee. They respected them. And still ate them and used their fat and made bowstrings from their guts. :)

bowhunterdavid

Africa, and mountain goat. I did a goat hunt but im getting to old to put my body through that again. They live in the most rugged places in north america.

Uptonongood

Glad to hear so many folks don't want to go hunting in Africa. The problem with doing a "trip of a lifetime" in Africa is, it won't be the trip of a lifetime, just the first one of several. It is addictive for sure! I had my first trip dropped in my lap "Hey, I want to go, how about we go together?" kind of thing. Got a good deal, spoke at length with the outfitter and a good friend who had hunted with him. Bim, bam, boom...did three trips. A hunt in South Africa can be less than a guided elk hunt out west or in Canada plus you'll be doing a lot more shooting. I don't have kids, that is how I afforded it.

Hunts I'm not interested in: elk or bear. You shoot the elk, I'll help you gut and pack it out if I can have a part of it to eat.

The bear you can shoot and keep all of it.

660griz

Like some have mentioned...most predators, except for coyotes.
Elephants, giraffe.

Uptonongood

Snipe hunting on the Altamaha Wildlife Mgt area in the late 70's through 1990 was a really great shoot especially from February to the end of the month. There were flocks of snipe and when you found the area they were feeding in, all you had to do was chase them out, wait a few minutes and have some really outstanding pass shooting when they returned. I imagine, like most good things, that is all gone now.

Killdee

Snipe hunting on the Altamaha Wildlife Mgt area in the late 70's through 1990 was a really great shoot especially from February to the end of the month. There were flocks of snipe and when you found the area they were feeding in, all you had to do was chase them out, wait a few minutes and have some really outstanding pass shooting when they returned. I imagine, like most good things, that is all gone now.

They were speaking of the bag holding type of snipe......

turkeykirk