What I find common to the world's major faiths.

gordon 2

This is a post, from another web site, in reply to the questions what do you believe buddists and christians have in common? What is the possible linkage of the world's major faiths?

It took me some time to get a readable answer posted, but I knew somehow instinctively that it was Justice. Therefore here is my ramblings. My Hope is that some will perhaps add or give imput to my answer.

REPLY:

"Just in passing, I have come upon this site and discussion. May I add to it that in my study what the linkage between buddist and christians is and what the external saviour ( as some buddist concieve of Christ) did are as follows:

Justice is the linkage... it is the same for both christian and buddist. Justice as in the stillness of moonbeam which is the same on a calm or angered ocean or, as in Isaiah or as is given in example in the christian gospels.

And what Jesus, regards external salvation as opposed to internal*, ( *the ideas of salvation by works or through faith ) did was get gentiles and pagans back to Justice as stated by Isaiah for example. Isaiah's concerns being social Justice and social injustice.

It is my view that the intelectual center and perhaps most solid spiritual center is Justice. Now this Justice is of course egoless and giving. It is graceful and "DO-ABLE" for both christian and buddist, in kingdoms spiritual and temporal.

Justice, a rare strength, a force, is par excellence christian...and buddist according to my studies.

Much of the problems in society are related to unjust actions or events wether we care to explore buddist ideas on suffering and christian ideas of Sin, Justice and Love. For both groups Justice is the solid, still, stoping, imouvable and action platform. I personally don't like the word "warrior", but it could be used here.

Today as it was ever, one can see why many do not trust politicians for example, nor agents of social change, nor business, nor spiritual organizations. Without Justice there is no light, no hope, no happiness; One has just to read Isaiah or get a basic on Zen buddism to get this driven home. Many climb on the backs of dragons or laviathans and create karma or many act while calling the name of Jesus not ever having had the least relationship with God and His Justice.

Now , can I take the opportunity, many I add, I am wondering if Islam might not meet me where Justice holds for fast, for why are the Arab muslims weary of the West? Why do some of the citizens of Arab kingdoms insist that politicians in general are criminals? (Remember there are no politicians in kingdoms only officials.) Where do they get their perspective on Justice. Abraham's progeny?

And as for Hindus, I can think, perhaps too fashionably, of Gandi and how Justice made a spiritual giant of a little South African lawyer.

Another perhaps a too often used example, but I feel it to be an excellent one: In the "And he's allowed me to go up the mountain. And I've looked over. And I have seen, the promised land." did Martin Luther King not see the immouvable force and strength of Justice.

Just a few thoughts my brothers and sisters.

Gordo"

Last edited: